Help

Special Education

Model Lesson

>

Madaly320

Model Lesson
Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I also posted this over on Job Search, but maybe someone can help me here?

My second interview is coming in 2 weeks. I need to prepare a mini lesson, 20-30 mins, for an ASD classroom, kidnergarten, low functioning, mostly non verbal, some with limited verbal.

What are they usually looking for? What would be good to prepare? I want to nail this one!

Please help!

Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Functional skills
Old 07-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a friend who had to do this. She taught a lesson on hand washing. Do you think that could be appropriate? Do you know if your students are mobile?
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

I saw your post on the other board
Old 07-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And I had some thoughts.

Since these are low functioning students, I recommend doing a functional, social, or life skills lesson like the pp suggested. Since the verbal skills are lacking, make sure to include visuals. I would also include a task analysis of whatever lesson you teach. Think of a skill that Kindergarten students need to master, but is difficult for this age group. Maybe sharing or greetings. You might incorporate a social story to begin the lesson and definitely include lots of modeling. Make sure to involve the para(s) in the room in assisting with modeling. If you have access to a voice output device incorporate that as well. Since this is an ASD class I think they will be looking to see that you have knowledge of evidence based practices for ASD students such as visuals and social stories. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote