Help

Special Education

Overly attached student... What to do..

>

muggleish

Overly attached student... What to do..
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have a little with AU and ID. I teach self-contained with a TA and we rotate groups. Now he always seems to think that he needs to be with me as he is very attached to me. This of course doesn't work as I have six others who need me. He will throw quite a fit if asked to sit at the TA's table. Of course, I understand that it's about the feel of familiarity with me. I was thinking of making him a mini schedule for the days he is with me and days he will work with my TA. Any other suggestions are very welcome!

muggleish is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

token board
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you set-up a token board type system for him for when he has to work with another adult/without you? My students all have Autism and have token boards that are more abstract (i.e. 4 bingo chips = computer time or similar), but I've seen lower functioning/younger students use token boards that are like a puzzle of the actual reward. (I had a kid who earned puzzle pieces that turned into a picture of an iPad and when he earned all the puzzle pieces he earned the actual iPad time.) Maybe you could make a puzzle board of a picture of you and have him earn pieces for amount of time that he is compliant with the TA. You can start with super low amounts of time to earn puzzle pieces depending on his level. (I've had kids earn tokens after literally 5 seconds of being compliant.) Start it very, very low so it obtainable and then work up. You'll end up spending a lot of time with him front-loading it, but it will hopefully end up with him eventually getting into a routine where you can do multiple small groups without interruption.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does he communicate well enough that you can ask him why he is uncomfortable working with the TA? It might be simpler than it seems - doesn't like her perfume or something.

If it's just that he's known you longer and she's new, I think the ideal would be to spend some time with both of you together, seeing that she is your friend and working with her while having the comfort of being with you.

But obviously, that's a solution easily applied when you're dealing with one kid, but not practical with a whole class! Would his parents be able to pick him up so he could stay after a few times to do that?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote