Help

Special Education

Offered a position

>

Kay70313

Offered a position
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all - I was offered a position for a special education self contained classroom. I accepted but instead of feeling excited I'm feeling.... Nervous, scared, and wondering if I can even handle it. Is this normal? I even cried, but I'm not sure if it was tears of joy or fear! I had a bad year this past school year where I suffered from major anxiety. I finally got myself in a good place and am feeling scared that it may happen again.

The administrators at this school have been wonderful so far and very open. I know they have excellent support for new teachers, but I just don't want to become consumed in this position like I did last year.

I love working with students with special needs and this would be my first permanent position as a SPED teacher. But I'm wondering if I will be capable of juggling all of the demands.

Everyone I know says I should go for it - but I guess I'm having some doubts.

Is this normal?

Kay70313 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

offerd a position
Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it normal to feel anxious and have doubts about something new? Of course! Even though this is your first year, it sounds like you have some experience with SPED students and have a sense of what it might be like to run your own room. Make sure you get to know the key people on site (including your new best friend, the office manager!), know who your mentor will be, look through the IEPs prior to school starting, etc.

Quote:
I just don't want to become consumed in this position like I did last year.
One thing to keep in mind is that this is a job. It will be tough the first year (ask any teacher about their first year and they will say it was one of the hardest), but make sure you find a balance between home and work. Take a mental health day (or two) here and there to stay sane. Just remember to take care of yourself during this stressful year.

Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Kay70313

Old 07-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you eeza! Your words are comforting

muggleish

Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Very normal. My first year was hard, but exciting. Once you get in with the kids and you get a good flow going, you will feel better. Good luck and have a great school year!
muggleish is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

You are in good company!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Just remember to take care of yourself during this stressful year.
Make sure you gets lots of sleep. It is just as important for your mental health as it is for your physical health. Don't think you should stay up late prepping...it's more important to get your rest so you can maintain a positive attitude while meeting the needs of your students. It will help you keep yourself on an even keel.

Also, allow yourself to make mistakes and not be perfect. As long as you are caring for your students and helping them move forward, you are moving in the right direction.

By the way, I know MANY teachers who have taught for years and years who still get nervous and lose sleep before the start of a new school year!

tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Kay
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm in the very same position as you!

This will be my first year teaching. I was offered a position in a 3rd thru 5th self-contained. During my student teaching I struggled with some anxiety (I hadn't realized until this year that I actually have generalized anxiety) and I, too, cried and felt anxious when offered my position (not in front of admin, that would have been awkward!). I feel like I could have written your exact post.

If you'd ever like to PM me, please do! It's nice to find others who feel the same way
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RockRose

Starting 6th year still get nervous
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Starting my 6th/7th year (depends on how you factor in a mid year start date one year).

I just thought about my job and got totally stressed out - I am not longer a classroom teacher - dyslexia reading teacher but I am also the Dyslexia/Campus 504 Coordinator. Every time I think about running the program I feel mild anxiety but thankfully I don't feel anxious about teaching reading. I also have mild nightmares starting about mid-August in which I forget to go to PD and all the before school stuff in August and show up the first day of school with nothing planned. When I was a classroom teacher I also had dreams about showing up the first day with no lesson plans. I am now starting my 3rd year in this position so I have a feeling that the anxiety will be lessened but it never goes a way. A teacher friend with 30 years experience told me she had this too! I love my job and it still happens.

Good luck in your new position, I hope you love it!
RockRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Kay70313

Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your words.

I guess part of me knows that I eventually want to work early intervention, and am realizing "what am I waiting for?" This position is with older students. I like being able to work more one on one and being able to move around to different students.

I would feel terrible going back on an offer, and who knows, maybe I'd actually like this position.

I'm just feeling so many emotions.
Thanks again everyone