Freaking out over list 504 paperwork that should be turned in before EOY checkout - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Freaking out over list 504 paperwork that should be turned in before EOY checkout

>

GreenGables

Freaking out over list 504 paperwork that should be turned in before EOY checkout
Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a Gen Ed math/sci teacher. One of my students qualified for SPED services in the last few weeks of school. I signed that I received her IEP, but don't recall getting it and cannot find it to turn it back in. My principal is saying that it must be turned in by next Friday, 1 week after our last day in the regular year. ( I am scheduled to teach summer school beginning Monday.) What might happen if I can't find the 504 paperwork? Has anyone else misplaced paperwork? I am being told it is a violation of the privacy act.

LOST NOT LIST

Last edited by GreenGables; 06-03-2016 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: Typo in subject-- can't find a way to edit
GreenGables is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

hmmm, we're not that strict on it. Can you tell her that you shredded it?

If you're gen ed, then it's likely you had a copy and not an original.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenGables

wondering what consequences could be
Old 06-03-2016, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I'm sure it was a copy. No, I don't feel comfortable being dishonest, but that is a moot point because he knows I've misplaced it. He was very serious and wasn't giving any options about not finding it, indicating that I was breaking the law by not turning it in to maintain confidentiality. I assured him that I didn't place it where it would be seen by someone. (Ha--even me) I know this raises questions about respect for rules and students and being in compliance with practices. I'm not flippant about student needs, just forgetful. I just forgot to file it and don't recall where I placed it. I am not in school again until Monday and just want to be able to stop thinking and worrying about it until I am able to search again. I wish I could be assured that this will be forgiven without major consequences. This is a new principal with a reputation for being a stickler for rules. I really am a rule follower at heart, too.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Holy cow, we've all lost/misplaced paperwork. If he can't cut you a break then thats a problem. If you have a union, contact them and let them know what's going on. Talk to him calmly, explain that you've liked everywhere and you're really upset but you can't find it (and it will probably turn up at the beginning of next year when you're going through papers, etc). Ask him whe the repercussions are. Seriously, worst case scenerio is probably a letter in your file and he'd be a jerk to do that.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not sure what you lost, since a 504 and an IEP are not the same thing and you used them interchangeably. You'd be expected to do the 504 stuff as a gen ed teacher, though, so it's probably that (for an IEP, you should have access to it and should be given a copy of the accommodations, but - at least in our old district- we wouldn't give the teachers a copy of the whole thing). Sorry, just thinking aloud- it's really a moot point. You can't find one piece of legal document with protected identifying information.

I'm sorry it's lost- I hope you find it! I'm not sure what the consequences might be for that. It might be that he is trying to push you to find it but maybe there won't be a strict punishment. It is a violation of the privacy act to not have maintained it in a confidential file that is unaccessible to students (has to be locked up), and so I guess he's assuming you do not have it in such a location if you can't find it. In my previous district, they wouldn't come down too hard on a teacher, but they'd definitely provide additional training in maintaining confidential files! Wishing you ~~~~find the paperwork~~~~ vibes! That is so stressful!!

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For the future, here's what I do for that paperwork.

I either have a brightly colored folder on my file organizer on my desk or the front of a filing cabinet so they're always in one place and easily accessible.

sha-nay-nay

Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is it possible to get another copy? Prayers you are able to complete everything. I know how you feel about misplacing it. If you were a part of the meeting, you would have signed you were there, but if your district is much like mine, It could take a couple of days after the meeting before the teacher gets a copy.
sha-nay-nay is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

IEP or 504?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Is it an IEP or 504 that you were given and why would they need it back if it were a copy? If you were given the accommodations then you should hold on to those until you no longer have the student or new accommodations are put in place. When that happens you should shred the old ones.

I'm really confused about why you would have these documents that need to be turned in. I never give the general ed teachers the original documents and expect them to turn them back in. They get only a copy of the papers they need as they don't need the entire document.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Paperwork
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with the others. What you were given was a copy. I've never been asked to return it. I was a special Ed teacher and never asked for a copy back either.
But... Your principal told you to return it for some odd reason. So look for it until you find it. With just a few weeks of school left, I wouldn't have thought you needed it in the first place, except if there were grade modifications or test accommodations. Think back to try to remember what you put it in or where you kept the others. They are supposed to be keep in a secure spot. So next time, make a special folder marked confidential and put it away after you read it. I would make notes in my grade or plan book if needed too. Online grade books usually are coded for students who have special needs.
I hope you find it. Keep looking and you will. Plus you'll get the principal off your back. He sounds like he may be difficult to work with. (((Hugs)))
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenGables

Thank you for the encouragement everyone!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, it was a copy of 504 paperwork. My understanding is that they require it to be turned in to safeguard privacy and make sure that it is shredded.
I cannot find the paperwork. School is out, though I'm a teaching summer school for a couple hours each morning.
I told my principal that I wasn't able to recover it and he wants to wait until next Friday to write me up - just in case.
I have a place to put 504 and IEP paperwork. I must have it gotten distracted before getting it there. I honestly do not remember receiving it-- only the paper stating that I had received it.
I like the idea of keeping the paperwork in a brightly colored folder. I may do that or keep a dedicated notebook instead of files in cabinet next year.
I have never been written up before. The principal says it stays in my file for a year and then goes away. I don't like it, but there isn't anything I can do about it. I can't imagine the paperwork being thrown away, but that is the only thing I can think of.
You can bet I will be be DOUBLE and TRIPLE checking myself next year to make sure I stay on top of filing and sorting items that come in my box next year! What a nightmare!! Thanks again for all the good suggestions and encouragement. Now to finish putting my room back together after turning everything topsy turvy to find the paperwork! I'm definitely ready for it to be officially summer!!

Miller

Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

as a sped teacher, I have all my cooperating teachers initial when they got paperwork from me.

Maybe next year you can ask them to do that, or make one for yourself.

GreenGables

Yes, about that . . .
Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think I did sign for it. That's why I'm so perplexed that I couldn't find it. It's really embarrassing!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So what ended up happening with the paperwork and your P? Did he write you up or something or just let it?
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Hmmm
Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We are definitely not this strict about copies of IEPs and 504's. Why would it matter if a copy got misplaced? I don't get it. I can only think it would matter if you couldn't just print out another one.. was it the original signed copy from the parents during meetings?

I can't imagine it being that. I'd just ask the SPED teacher to print me out another one. There's nothing you can do if you've lost it. Seriously you probably just have it in a file somewhere and you'll discover it next year at some random point.

I'm perplexed that it would be such a huge deal.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenGables

Final Outcome
Old 08-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you everyone that posted ideas and encouragement for handling my mistake. The outcome was that my principal didn't seem to want to write me up after all. When I mentioned checking out (to get it off my mind and have some closure) he wanted me to keep looking and just wait to check out. Finally, I turned in my checklist with an honest note about the one student's papers being missing. He never said anything more about it.

I suppose it might come back up, but I never had to sign anything--which I believe is protocol if one is officially written up.

Anyway, you can be sure that I will treat all paperwork as gold--being extra careful with it, although that was always my intent-- and there will be no issues with turning it in at the end of this year!