Collaborating with 5+ Teachers in Middle/ High School Settings - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Collaborating with 5+ Teachers in Middle/ High School Settings

>

teacher0729

Collaborating with 5+ Teachers in Middle/ High School Settings
Old 08-02-2016, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching special education in middle school (first year teacher) and I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make sure teachers are following accommodations and getting what they need to help students in special education when you are not co-teaching with them. I will be co-teaching for one class period but there will be at least 3 other teachers my students will see without my presence. How can I make sure they are getting what they need in these classes?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Secondary students should be advocating for their own accommodations. Of course this will be harder for some kids than for others, but you can start by making sure the students know which accommodations they have and why, and telling them that they may need to remind the teacher to give them extra time or whatever it is. If they're nervous, you can have them practice with you. I would also meet with the teachers at the beginning of the year and go over which accommodations the kids have so that they're hearing it for the first time from you and when they hear it from the student it's just a reminder. Ask the teachers if they need any help or suggestions with implementing the accommodations.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Accommodations
Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could ask the teachers to hold on to some of their work and collect it. That would give you an idea on how they are doing. You probably need work samples anyway for progress reports. Stop in once in awhile unannounced if you can on your prep or lunch time for a few minutes. Also you could ask for a copy of their lesson plans ahead of time to give them suggestions esp at the beginning of the year.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote