Special Education

Where do I start? Resource teacher

>

start where?

start where?

Where do I start? Resource teacher
Old 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year teacher. I will be a resource teacher for reading and math (co-teaching). I am sharing a room with another teacher, but I have no idea what supplies I should be collecting. Any suggestions?
Also, if anyone has any general words of wisdom/advice I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.

teabreak

Where to start
Old 08-08-2016, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a co-teacher, have you met with your partner? Will you be in their room or are you both team teaching math and reading? I work with several co-teachers. When I started at the school I'm at, I got with the teachers ahead of time and asked them what their philosophy was and what they saw as our roles in their room. They had a bad experience the previous year so were leary about working with another co-teacher.

You will need basic supplies such as paper pencils, fidgets for kids, things like that. I wear a backpack on my co-teaching days as I'm changing rooms every block. Make sure you know the accommodations for your students and if you have common planning time with your teammate, please let them know you will be willing to grade papers, enter grades, develop lesson plans and the like. You don't want them to view you as just another body in the room. Good luck to you!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Please help

Please help

To tea break:
Old 08-08-2016, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't met my partner yet, but we've talked over the phone. The classroom is totally filled to the top with everything we could need, but most of it is hers. I honestly don't know that there wouldnt even be room for anything if I got it.

I know that both of us will be team teaching in classrooms (not the same ones though), and every now and then teaching in the classroom.

I'm just really nervous and not entirely sure what to expect. I got my alt. Certification so I feel a little behind the curve.

Haley23

Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sped is so different from school to school that really you just need to ask the other sped teacher to tell you about how it works at your school. I know that even within my own tiny district, each building runs their sped programs very differently.

This may sound silly, but my advice for co-teaching would be to establish your role as a "real teacher" with the gen ed teachers right away. Talk about the models of co-teaching you're interested in using and what that will look like. If you don't plan this ahead of time, I guarantee that what will happen is they'll just expect you to come into the gen ed room and be an aide (walk around and help kids who need it and manage behavior/keep kids on task while the gen ed teacher teaches). You need to be introduced to the students on day 1 as another teacher in the room. Make sure it's, "I'm Ms. __________ and I'll be one of your teachers this year" rather than, "I'm Ms. _________ and I'm here to help out during reading time." Talk about your procedures and classroom rules in your co-taught rooms so that you're not stuck saying "ask Ms. gen ed teacher" (again, paints you as "not the real teacher") when a kid asks to go to the bathroom or something. Talk about what your expectations are going into co-teaching and what the gen ed teacher's expectations are. If your expectations aren't aligned, resolve those issues right away before school starts. It's really important to have frequent and open communication in this type of setting.

As far as supplies, unless there is something that the other sped teacher tells you you'll absolutely need on day one, I'd hold off. Often in co-taught settings you don't really need extra supplies because everything is already stocked in the gen ed room. It's better to buy things as you realize you need them rather than waste money on buying things before school only to realize they are unneeded (I totally did that my first year ).
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

I agree with the PP
Old 08-09-2016, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

SpEd is different from school to school--Heck, even student to student...Especially in co-teaching situations.

I would wait until you can talk to the other teachers, the Gen Ed you push in with and see the student records.

Also, see what the district offers first too. See what you NEED and what they have on hand or if there is budget available for it before you spend out of pocket.

I was push in at my last school and it was different in each classroom. Some wanted true co-teaching, some preferred small group teaching for the lowest students (IEP or not) and in some cases, I was a glorified assistant.

If she has excellent resources already, I wouldn't buy anything until you know what your specific situation will be. (Unless it is something you love that you just want to have available each day--a certain coffee cup, planner, pens or markers, a cart or rolling crate, etc.)

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote