help with student who is visually impaired. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

help with student who is visually impaired.

>

kbach

help with student who is visually impaired.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I teach in primary classroom (K-2) for kids with intellectual disabilities. School starts tomorrow and on Friday, I had a student enroll who is severely visually impaired (only sees shadows etc.) I have not had experience with a student this severe before or one who is supposed to learn braille. I've gotten some disposable art trays that have six holes with the idea that he can use play dough to create his letters. I've bought puffy paint to do some outlining. On Monday we are reading Pete the Cat so I have a stuffed Pete the Cat. I plan to get some board books that I can use puffy paint to write and add texture (if it the book is about a tree, I will glue in some leaves etc.) Has anyone had any experience with the hand held braille labelers (in the $40 price range?) Are they worth it? I am outlining everything that juts out in bright orange tape. What would be the best way to label my tables/areas of the classroom?

I do plan to speak to our teachers of the visually impaired but it will take a while because their class loads are very high and they aren't always at my school so I need to be ready to fly solo immediately. I have checked the websites for schools for the blind in Texas and Washington as well as perkins.com. Do anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions etc?

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

sha-nay-nay

Old 08-16-2016, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is an iPad app that you can use to teach yourself how to type braille. I'll have to get back with you as my iPad is at school. I used it to help teach myself, so I can teach my student. What grade and cognitive level is your student?
sha-nay-nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Been there

Been there

My experience
Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I serviced a student very similar to yours. First lesson learned is that the Sped department is responsible for providing labels and Braille versions of materials. Get on them and stay on them. My experience was a two week turn around... Lesson learned.

I dont have any experience with the hand brailler.

I did however learn to keep my classroom layout consistent to facilitate movement. I also learned to invite the student to experience things with me by first describing what was happening and what the student can expect. Always ask if they would like to do something new. For example, When we made smoothies in a blender, my student did not want to turn on the blender, but was willing to tag along. I explained what was happening, and he held on to my forearm as I made the smoothie.
Hope others can chime in.

kbach

Just learning
Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As it turns out, this student has NEVER had an IQ so I am not even sure he is intellectually disabled. He has some "blindisms" and struggles with reading (because he hasn't had enough braille instruction.) I am trying to rely on our vision teachers some but let's be honest... two week turn arounds just don't work well so I need to be able to do stuff myself. I would love to know any apps that might be good for him and me!

THANKS!
kbach is offline   Reply With Quote