Help

Special Education

Basic touchpad-

>

Valone

Basic touchpad-
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes, I would love to get iPad's: not going to happen.
So based on my budget of under $150. I need a basic touchpad or touch tablet. It will be used for individual with CP and profound ID. She may be higher than cause and effect, but it is impossible to get accurate testing done due to her physical limitations. She does like animals. I was looking at using an Amazon Kindle Fire? Does anyone have experience with using those? How about ideas for apps? I have spend hours looking and so far, not coming up with many ideas.

TIA!

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a student who has a kindle, and it's really not a good fit for her. You just can't find many apps for them. What are you wanting your student to do with the tablet? Are you hoping to use it to practice skills? Are you wanting her to use it as a communication device? How you want to use it will help you decide exactly what kind of device you need for her.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I recommend
Old 08-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the RCA Viking Pro 2n1

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...20viking%20pro

They are Android based so lots of free apps-- It can be a tablet or a mini laptop. It can to hooked up to an HDMI or USB cable. It can come with Windows 10 if you prefer but I personally do not care for those.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
401here

401here

Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you get it written into her IEP as a communication device?
Here if the device is in the IEP the district sped department assumes the cost.

Lottalove

Personally,
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If they are giving you the money/budget already, I wouldn't write it in to the IEP. But that's just me.

If you are spending your own money, it may change things.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

additional info-
Old 08-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am with a ICF-IID. Maybe you can call it, "the lost people'. Decades ago people were told to send their children to an institution. A decade ago, anyone who could, was transitioned to a less stigmatizing facility, foster care, group home. We have people in a short term care wing who are under 21. The remainder of our gang (250) due to significant health issues (requiring 24/7 nursing care) remain in the facility. It is not considered an institution. Our residents lead very busy and active lives. However, we are very much lacking in technology (and any money for it). It is state owned and the money is just not there. I have waited for the allocated $ for 18 months until the state budget passed.

I am hoping that if I can provide one resident with the ability to use, interact, respond to a touch tablet, we can justify additional purchases. It could be the first step to maybe a basic communication tool. However, at this point, cause and effect would be a great start. I will be working with a resident with profound intellectual disability, cerebral palsy with spastic tetraplegia, anxiety and seizure disorder. So movement in general is an issue.

Thanks everyone for the input so far- if you have any other information or ideas, please let me know! My goal (if successful) is that the resident could then purchase their own (maybe even an iPad). I just need data that it is appropriate. Using a residents limited funds for such a luxury is a huge deal.

looteach13

Aea
Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does your state have an AEA (Area Education Agency)? They may be able to assist you in getting equipment and assessment? Just a thought!
looteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 08-27-2016, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have CESA's but it is only from educational services, Birth -21.

I have presented a budget to purchase one RCA Viking Pro. If it goes through I will be searching for a few apps.

When I was teaching K-12 I did Donors Choose, but working with ID/DD over 21, there are not many options.

momteachsis

What about a basic tablet.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There are many free apps, including communication ones, that can be downloaded on basic tablets. Walmart has 10" tablets for $80. They have 7" ones even cheaper. You could use the extra money for paid apps.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote