What to say at MS SPED position interviews? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

What to say at MS SPED position interviews?

>

nerv

nerv

What to say at MS SPED position interviews?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have only taught ES SPED so far. Tomorrow is my interview for a MS SPED position. What should I keep in mind as someone new to MS?

Haley23

Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never taught MS so no specific advice there, but I have been on our interview committee and we often get candidates that are applying for our elementary resource position with different backgrounds (either coming from secondary or coming from severe needs).

Two big mistakes that I saw over and over was that these people often didn't make it clear that they really wanted our specific position, and often didn't make an attempt to answer the questions as they related to the specific job they were applying for.

They often left us wondering if they really wanted to work in elementary resource, or just really needed a job and might bolt for an offer in whatever field they were coming from. If they start with a question that's something like "tell me about yourself" or "tell me about your experience," make sure to work in something about how you're really excited at the possibility of working in MS and give 1-2 positives you're looking forward to with working with that age level.

We also ask a lot of questions that are something like, "Talk about your experience with...(reading instruction, IEPs, etc.). Make sure you're tailoring your answers to the MS setting. For example, we'd have people coming from severe needs talking about things like tube feedings when we were asking about reading instruction. While yes, that was their experience, that's not what we're looking for in an elementary resource position. Show that you can adapt to the new setting by saying things like, "In elementary, I did ______, but I would adapt that to middle school by _______."
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Ms
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Depending on the school, they might want you to talk about working in/on teams and co-teaching. You may want to talk about how you deal with "difficult" co-workers and how you solve scheduling issues.

They may ask how to make lower-level concepts relevant to older students and how you facilitate student self-advocacy. Organization and executive functioning are also big at this age, but I don't know if they come up in interviews.

For self-contained positions, you may want to talk about transition plans or life-skills goals and how you would facilitate inclusion, if applicable.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How did it go? Sorry. I missed this. I am MS sped, co teaching is a big component that would be discussed here.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote