Help

Special Education

Inclusion help

>

Teachercat2

Inclusion help
Old 08-31-2018, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I will be doing first, second, and third grade inclusion this year and I need some help about what I am supposed to be doing? It seems like they want me to come into classrooms and take my iep kids for an entire hour at a table.. My questions are: what am I doing with them in the classroom for an hour?? And how do I coordinate inclusion lessons that are 30-60 mins plus with 6 different classroom teachers?? I envisioned inclusion as more guided reading in room with pull out phonics and reteaching lessons for math after a whole class lesson. But t sounds like I just take my kids to a table?? I'd like to to a great job at whatever I'm doing.

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Inclusion is new enough that
Old 08-31-2018, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

every school does it differently. The only way to know is probably to ask someone in your district.

If it were me, in the situation you described, I would ask the classroom teachers to provide lesson plans up front and then pre-teach or re-teach those lessons or similar lessons to the kids at your table.

If the teacher is not willing or able to do that, I would make my own mini lessons for my table.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-31-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since you only have some of the grade levels, there must be other sped teachers at your school- I'd ask them what it's supposed to look like. Like the pp said, it's drastically different elsewhere. You could even ask to observe one of the other sped teachers for a few lessons if you want to get a better idea of what the school's expectations are.

A previous teammate worked at a school where she did something like you are describing. She explained it as "modifying on the spot" for her kids while the gen ed teacher was teaching. For example, if the lesson was about fractions she would say, "Okay, here's what you really need to know about fractions..." and during things like guided practice she would either provide extra help for her kids or give simpler examples if needed.

You may be doing something like that if it's during whole group, or if it's a small group time maybe you just have your kids for the whole time. Definitely find out from someone at your school.

I would be thankful that there is some sort of plan in place, because in 98% of the situations I've seen, the sped teacher pushing is just expected to walk around and basically be a behavior para (helping kids stay on task, maybe helping kids who raise their hand) while the gen ed teacher teaches. Pulling your kids aside to the table at least implies you're going to get to do some sort of actual instruction.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2018, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ok, I will speak to the classroom teachers about getting lesson plans ahead of time! Thanks.

Teachercat2

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes it is very different here than other places I've worked. At my old district one sped teacher had a grade level and all the students in the grade level and they did some pull out but mostly inclusion for all the subjects all day. Here I am in 6 different classrooms, I only have have my kids for reading and another sped teacher has them for math? I also have a number of kids on my caseload that don't even have academic services but I'm responsible for them and their meetings. I am feeling very stressed, but I am just trying to remain positive and stay grateful I have a job.
I asked to meet with one of the other sped teachers who had most of these kids last year. Thanks!