Help

Special Education

Unfair schedule

>

Teachercat2

Unfair schedule
Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't mean to sound like a child here but I've recently noticed the caseloads of students at my school are very unequal and unfair! I work with 2 other sped teachers and we all do either pull out or inclusion. So I have about 22 students all inclusion in large groups like 6 kids at a time. The other sped teacher has like 10 kids and huge chunks of free time (in addition to her prep time), I didn't have time to go to the bathroom yesterday because there's no travel time built in to my schedule.. The third sped teacher also has time with no students. I'm very concerned that They are trying to make me quit or something! I've already emailed that my schedule is not really practical if you need to add any more kids to my caseload which I'm sure will happen. How can I do a "small group" in inclusion with 9 kids? But I don't know if I should say more.. Like explaining to them that the other teachers have big chunks of free time and way less kids than I have and we are all supposed to be doing the same thing? Also I have all of the grades in the school and the other teachers only have 1-2 grade levels. I just don't get why they'd set it up this way other than they want me to quit! Should I point this out to them??

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-05-2018, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does your contract guarantee you planning time? If so, that is where I would start. Our sped teachers can calculate how much time they are responsible for with a formula depending on what level the kids are that they service. If that is something in your district, that may be another conversation.

I would hesitate to just bring up "all their freetime" because it sounds childish - even though I would be feeling the same way! They would too. Do they have other responsibilities that you do not? Writing of IEPs, evals, anything along that line?

I would simply discuss the fact that I had no time between groups and no time to plan for groups with the schedule. Is there some way to provide some relief or assistance there? Someone else take a grade level, or one group in order to provide you time to prepare. Or pee.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Also I have all of the grades in the school and the other teachers only have 1-2 grade levels.
Why is it set up like this? Are you supposed to be "mild needs" and they're supposed to be "moderate" or something like that? The only reason I ask is because this was the situation at another school in my district. They had one "learning support" teacher who was supposed to work with all of the grade levels for kids who had milder needs, and several "moderate support needs" teachers who only had like 8-10 kids on their caseload because their kids were supposed to be getting more service hours. Eventually, they figured out that didn't really make sense, and now have just split the grade levels equally among all of the sped teachers and they work with both mild and moderate needs.

Do you have anything like a team meeting? Or a check in meeting with an admin? Here, at the beginning of the school year we all have to meet with an admin and discuss our professional goals for the year. They always ask how the year has started and if we need support with anything. That would be a great time to bring this up- but I'd phrase it as "help me with my schedule." Hopefully, the inequality will be obvious. If not, I wouldn't say anything about free time, but you might ask why the caseloads aren't more balanced.

Have you tried directly asking the other teachers why the caseloads are the way they are? Like the pp was saying, have you asked if someone is available to take over some of your students? Just giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they don't realize how packed your schedule is. If it's to the point where you're not getting a regular lunch or planning time, that's definitely reasonable to bring up.

Last edited by Haley23; 09-05-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote