Help

Special Education

Butterflies are coming. Nerves

>

MnToCa

Butterflies are coming. Nerves
Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am working as an EBD High school teachee in a setting 4 with 5 students this year. I have never taught Sped or High School. I used to teach 4th grade gen ed and was a para for 2 years in a high school.

I have my classroom all set up. Its a very calming room. I have Christmas lights up and a blue lava lamp with blue curtains. I am not sure what to expect though.

Any advice or tips?

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like youíre being proactive with a calming environment. Thatís always a good thing. One word of caution though - young people who are in an EBD setting may have aggressive behaviors. While a lava lamp is calming, it could also easily become dangerous if thrown. A broke piece of glass could easily become a weapon. Think carefully about that part of your decor.

Have you been able to look at student folders and your curriculum? That would be my next step. I would want to start off with engaging activities that will keep them busy and let you get to know each other.

Congratulations on the new position!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote
MNEBD

MNEBD

Old 09-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work in level 4 setting. I agree with previous poster about being mindful about items that can break or hurt students or staff when thrown.
Being EBD and setting 4, your students should have a behavior plan (at least in my state they have to). Look careful at what behaviors to expect, how they would play out with your particular grouping, and have a plan for when the s... hits the fan, because it will. That's why they are in a setting 4. When that happens do not take it personal. Do you have a break out space, restrictive procedures training, para support or security staff or blockers? Think about how and when you will use them. Students and paras will look at you to set the tone. Look at how your day is structured, these are students who will depend on knowing what to expect. And they will depend on you caring about them. Many EBD students are behind on curriculum because their behaviors kept them from learning. Not achieving and learning increased their behavior. It's a vicious circle. If you can find ways for them to see themselves making progress, you've won half the battle.
EBD is such a wide range of challenges and behaviors - it is hard to give general advice. Every group is different. Go into the first week with a general structure and plan. Make necessary changes as you go.
They will be a challenging, but interesting and love-able group of kids. Make sure you find some joy every day.

MnToCa

Thanks
Old 09-03-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yea I thought about that with the lava lamp, but I asked people, and they think it will be ok, its on my desk so its not close to anyone but me.

I have a paraprofessional in my classroom. I know 2 of my 5 have BIPs. I feel I have a calm demeanor and build relationships really fast, so I am hoping this will transfer over to this position.

I only have my first day planned. We will do a few ice breakers, some coloring, go over rules, watch a TED talk and take a walk.

I just hope I can avoid my students breaking anything or hurting themself or others.

Haley23

Old 09-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't teach in this setting, but I wanted to say good luck for your first day! It sounds like you have spent time planning and thinking everything out.

Like others suggested, I would be mentally prepared for outbursts and of course have a plan ready to handle these. The smaller and more calming environment should help, but if kids weren't having outbursts at all, they wouldn't be in this setting. I would be mentally preparing for "when" not "if," if I were you. Staying calm through these the first few days should have a positive impact in the classroom going forward- kids will be looking to see how you react.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

I love my job so far
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great students and great staff.

While my students definitely have their needs, my class already loves me. Day one, my first student tried to be disrespectful and hate me, but day 4 he said goodbye to me and wished me a happy birthday. I joked with him on day 1 that he really was trying to hate me but I wouldn't let him.