Special Education

Schedules

>

checkerjane

Schedules
Old 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

What does your schedule look like? Right now, I have kids scheduled to come in for 30 minute blocks or longer, depending on what their IEP says. Ive got a couple of kids who are about a grade level lower. So, these kids come in for 30 minutes, and we work on basic reading skills.

I have a few parents who are upset that their kids are struggling in reading, which I get. Theyre in the reg ed classroom for reading, basically, and do the work of their peers.

So, do I provide lower level work for the gen ed teacher to give to them during assignments?

Id really like for the kids to stay in the gen ed classroom for the lesson, and then come to my room for assistance/modifications of the assignment and basic reading skills. Id rather do this than have a set 30 minute period for them to come to my room.

I hope all that made sense. :/ Looking for opinions and suggestions, please.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not totally following what you're saying. Bottom line, you have to do what the IEP says. So if it says they get 30 minutes of pull out time, you have to provide that. You should only be providing modified work for them to do in class if their IEP says they receive modifications (here, mild/moderate students can't get modified curriculum). If your students do get modifications, the IEP should outline what they are.

My school does everything in intervention blocks, so if students have pull out minutes, that's the time where those minutes are met. Each grade level has a 30 minute reading intervention block and 30 minute math intervention block where all students in the grade level go to different small groups depending on skill needs.

Especially with only having 30 minutes, I personally wouldn't work on the gen ed curriculum during pull out minutes unless someone above you is saying that you have to do this, or your students are higher level and don't really need basic skills instruction. I'd be spending that 30 minutes on whatever skill needs to be remediated that's holding them back from accessing the gen ed curriculum in the first place (for my kids, it's almost always decoding- they simply don't have the skills to read the text).
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote