Help

Special Education

WWYD regarding student

>

Haley23

WWYD regarding student
Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a really nice and hardworking 3rd grader who just needs thousands upon thousands of repetitions to learn and retain anything related to reading. I won't go into the details, but he's getting TONS of intervention during the school day from me, SLP, EL teacher, and a reading interventionist. Hours more than basically anyone else in the school.

He is just now reaching the point where he can read a decodable passage with very basic sight words and CVC words, but is still stopping to sound out some of the words and still needs to be told a few of the sight words. He's had all of this intervention since mid-1st grade.

I am also running an extra 60 minute reading tutoring group after school, and students were just placed in based on teacher recommendation. I have 5 kids including this kid; the others are all gen ed students who are low readers.

I decided to split the kids in half and do 2 lessons (they're on Lexia when they're not with me). I paired this kid with a kid who has been home schooled up to this year and has major holes. The problem is, home school kid is turning out to be a bright kid who just hasn't gotten good instruction. He's picking up the material very fast and I feel like my identified kid is holding him back.

I am torn about what to do. I feel badly for "my" student but I want to do a good job for the 4 others in my tutoring group as well. Do I put the 4 of them together for 30 minutes, and then just see this kid 1:1 for 30 minutes? Or do I bring up that maybe this tutoring group isn't a great fit for this student, and try to get another kid who would really benefit?

If I had 60 minutes of actual instructional time for the entire group, I feel like I could really do a lot of good, but I feel horrible saying the kid is "too low" for my tutoring group, especially as his sped teacher. There isn't another group for him to go to; these 5 students are the only ones getting tutoring in the grade level. I feel like with such few slots it might be wise to really think about what the biggest bang for our buck would be. Suggestions?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a 3rd grade EL/LD student who sounds so similar to your student. He works so hard and keeps such a great attitude, but his progress is so very slow. I have found an extra 20 minutes (in addition to his 45 minue special Ed literacy time) each day to work with him and he gets EL support but no additional support from tier 2 interventionists. Sometimes I feel that I could work with him all day long and he would make the same amount of progress! I think its OK to acknowledge that your tutoring group isn't a good fit for him since he would require 1:1 support and it would limit your ability to give an adequate amount of time to your other students. Do you have any parent volunteers that could work with him to reinforce the basic skills he has mastered? It sounds like you and your colleagues are going above and beyond to give him support. We can only do so much!
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Too Much?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wonder if maybe he's actually getting too much instruction a day. Have you read about the funnel theory? I have a 5th grader I am working with who is at the same level. I was getting frustrated by how slowly we were moving. Then I realized that I was asking him to do way more than I would ever ask a kindergartener or first grader to do even though academically that's where he is. I think the lessons need to be chunked the way you'd chunk them for a 5 or 6-year-old. Just because he is older doesn't mean he can grasp a larger amount of information in one day. He might actually have less stamina than a 6-year-old who is still enthusiastic and eager to learn to read. Struggling with something tends to take out the joy in it. Also, are you doing the same interventions all day? If you are using a multitude different programs I wonder if you might actually be making things more confusing. Personally, I've had success with All About Reading. I only do two lessons a day at most. I spend any extra time reading aloud, writing, or playing reading games.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. This session ends at the end of October, and there are a few breaks in there with PD days, work days, and conferences, so I think I will just suggest that someone else be chosen for the next session.

We are all using the same language and strategies and working on the same skills with him. He's a very enthusiastic learner and loves reading despite his significant challenges. And if he's not in a small group with us, he's in class trying to deal with material years above his level, so that couldn't possibly be less stressful anyway! That's another thing that makes me feel guilty- he loves being in this tutoring group. He brags to the other kids who are in his school day sped group that he gets to come with me after school too . Poor kid.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ah, he sounds like a sweet kid! Probably best to keep him in the group till the session ends.

WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote