Help

Special Education

Emotional/Behavioral Disability students

>

lefty12

Emotional/Behavioral Disability students
Old 09-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach an SC/EBD classroom. This is my second year in the setting. I have a student that can not leave the "hood" at home. He is consistently cursing, laughing, and making disturbances through out the day. I have him set up in his own area, as to not get distracted by other students and get off task. He will just blurt out,"Stop looking at me" when nobody is looking at him. I know this is for negative attention. My Paraprofessional and I are becoming really good at ignoring him, but it is a little bit harder for the other students. I am losing control of the classroom because of his behaviors. Does anybody have any suggestions? He is improving a little, instead of Bro I need a pencil, he is saying, May I have a pencil please. My AP is noticing and gave me a motherly lecture about getting my classroom under control.

lefty12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I think you are on the right track
Old 09-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Isolate him, especially when inappropriate.
Pick your battles. Ignore everything small.
Make small gains and celebrate even small victories.

If necessary, keep working to keep the other students on board with ignoring him too.

Maybe you could find a small, low/no cost reward for him when he is good and follows the rules--computer time, tablet time, sit and chill in a bean bag, have a can of coke or something...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

Ebd
Old 09-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was hoping your AP noticed that GOOD you are doing. I know you are busy, but if possible, document how the class is doing when this student is not being disruptive.

As far as the other students go, have you tried using social stories with them? Something about how to ignore blah blah blah. Or softly go around praising those who stay on task during the outbursts.

And on a side note, I had a major at.. instead of Bro I need a pencil, he is saying, May I have a pencil please.

To be honest, you may have to embrace the hood just a wee bit. This is only if you can do it without seeming phony. In this instance, I would say something like, (in a playful manner), Seriously? Bro? I NEED a pencil? How can we say that in a nice way? If he says, Bro, may I have a pencil PLEASE? I wouldn't bat an eye and say, much better!
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

lowercase

getting rid of behaviors.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What I've been taught is that to extinguish a behavior, you have to teach replacement behaviors. I have lots of students who use foul language (in 4th grade). Making a list of acceptable things to say instead of their favorite cuss words has actually helped.
lowercase is offline   Reply With Quote