Help

Special Education

Taking a sick day to catch up?

>

checkerjane

Taking a sick day to catch up?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever done this? I have to have all my stuff done by next Friday. Test results from our psychometrist (sp) started coming in last night. So, I have 11 IEPs before next Friday. Itís my first year, so I feel like I have ZERO clue what Iím doing. A veteran sped teacher could probably look at this as no biggie. I feel like Iím being buried in quicksand. But, I feel guilty taking a sick day if Iím not sick.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know teachers who used to take sick days so they could sit in the hall and get their DRA's done in a reasonable time.

I hesitate to use a sick day for something like that, but if you need the time, do it. Have you considered telling/asking your admin if they have room in the budget for a sub while you get your IEP's written? You don't get it if you don't ask.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe ex-lain your situation to your admin, and ask if you can use a professional day instead? That way it wouldnít use up a sick day you might need later.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 09-20-2018, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a veteran special Ed teacher and 11 IEP's in a week IS a biggie! You should request an IEP release day or two to meet this crazy demand especially if you are working with students all day.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 09-21-2018, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have any IEP writing days in your contract? We have 2 a year, but can choose to take a payment stipend if we don't use them.

Also, out district went to matching up out annual reviews with our ETR reevaluation dates so our IEPs are spread throughout the whole school year. We also have moved all of our August and September IEPs to May (by doing them twice for a year) so that we don't have any for the first two months of the school year. This may be something you guys can look at so that you don't have a bunch at one time.

amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

IEPs
Old 09-21-2018, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm a veteran special ed teacher and 11 IEPs in one week is huge!! Take the sick day if you feel you need to, but I would ask the admin for a work day to help you get things done. You can go into the school and hole up in a corner where you won't be bothered if possible, but ask for the day first.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalEd

Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Explain your situation to your administrator they may provide you with an IEP writing day. Iíve also had administrators cover me with a sub to write IEPs, but fortunately Iíve never had to take a sick day.
UniversalEd is offline   Reply With Quote