Help

Special Education

Teaching in Ohio???

>

Kelly

Teaching in Ohio???
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello can anyone tell me if there job opennings in Ohio? I am orginally from Oberlin Ohio. I am hoping to move back to Ohio in about 2 years and was wondering what the teaching job market is like? I can teach regular education or special education. My heart is in Special education. We are looking around Medina area, Lorain county area, and up above the Cleveland area, I have a sister in Wiloughby. Anyway need some in sights. I want to come home. I have never taught in Ohio so need to know about what kind of test there are for licensure? What are requirements in Ohio schools for teachers? Are teachers required to do a dossier to keep your job? thanks any infomation will be great Kelly

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Krista

Krista

Ohio
Old 10-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Kelly, I just graduated in May from UT and from what i've heard the job market in ohio for teaching isn't very good. You would probably have better luck finding a Special Education job than regular in Ohio. I heard there always hiring for SPED. To get my ohio license I had to take Praxis 2..they have a website praxis.org...and then your first year of teaching they have Praxis 3 which is an observational test. (I'm not sure if they do that test if your a veteran teacher.) Hope this helps a little bit. -Krista

Kelly

Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Doesn't sound too bad, I had to take a series of 5 tests here when I graduated, well that last year before graduation. We also have 3 years to complete a dossier to keep our job, it is nuts like teaching isn't a full time job already. Thanks for your response Kelly

Kelly

If you don't mind
Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate to ask but what is starting salary in Ohio if you don't mind telling me
Amy

Amy

SPED Teaching in OH
Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach in northeastern OH and the starting salary here is around $24,000. If you get on the Ohio Department of Education web sight, they have listings for job openings. I haven't checked it lately, but there is usually more opportunities in SPED than in regular ed. You may have to sub for awhile to get your name in some areas, but I tried for 3 years to get in regular ed., but as soon as I got my SPED cert. I got a job that year. Good Luck!!!

Jean

Jean

Sped Teacher
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, there are alot of Spec. Ed. jobs in Ohio. I'm in the Cleveland Municipal School District. We still have openings as of today!