Special Education

new at preschool special ed

>

Audry

Audry

new at preschool special ed
Old 10-23-2005, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new at preschool level special ed. Even circle time seems to be very frustrating (ie. getting them to attend, sitting during circle time). The other teachers do not seem to have the same problems as I. I am worried that I am not cut out for this level. I used to teach older students. I love these kids, but I am worried I am not up to par with the rest of the teachers. What can I do to make sure that I am "doing as the Romans do?"

jcgy7

keep it short
Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you're probably doing this already, but try to minimize the length of time you're asking them to attend and try to mix up circle with a combination of stand up and sit down songs/activities. Make sure your routine is very predictable and consistent. Keep your directions short and to the point. Don't ask questions unless it's really a choice. Make sure you're telling them AND showing them what you need them to do and not just telling them not to do stuff. Don't just say, "Sam, you need to stop that" when Sam's poking Johnny in the chest. Tell him, "Sam, it's time to sit criss-cross with your hands in your lap." If you have kids with language delays, keep your sentences even shorter and use picture or sign cues when possible. Think about whether or not your schedule might be contributing - are you asking them to sit right when they come in? When they're hungry? Etc. If they're on the young end of the preschool spectrum, you may not be able to expect that they'll all be able to sit and listen and participate at this point in the year. It will get better as long you stay consistent. Good luck!
jcgy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

mvance

fun at circle time
Old 10-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Use songs! Make "song cards" for the children to choose from with the name of the song and a picture that depicts the song. Children get to take turns "picking a song" from my choice board. I like to use music from CD's, but that is just a personal preference! My preschoolers with special needs love it and I rarely have to correct sitting behavior since they are so involved! My songs usually relate either to a vocabulary unit (e.g. The Itsy Bitsy Spider ) during our spider unit or a teaching objective (e.g. Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes) to teach body parts or both. Use visuals whenever you can. Stay at the children's eye level (on the floor if they are on the floor - in a small chair if they are in chairs). Make a lot of eye contact and even body contact (tickles, high fives, etc). Smile a lot and engage them. My children definitely "sit" better in chairs than on the floor on carpet squares, etc. I usually find that if I am having fun, so are they!
mvance is offline   Reply With Quote