Inclusion in Texas question, please help. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Inclusion in Texas question, please help.

>

intheloonybin

Inclusion in Texas question, please help.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a math teacher at a 5th/6th grade campus in Texas and was just informed today that our special education teacher is only required to service our inclusion students 20 minutes a week. For some reason, I find that hard to believe. She does not have any resource classes. We have four classes with special education students. Some students test TAKS-A and some test TAKS-M, so they are mixed. She has been going in only on Mondays and we don't see her the rest of the week. Can anyone please direct me to a website that states this policy? I need clarification on 20 minutes minimum or maximum and 20 minutes per student or classes with special education students. For the record, I do have a son with asperger's that receives special education services and I am aware of some of the policies, just not all of them. Thanks in advance for any help!

intheloonybin is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

I don't have a website for you. . .
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I am a new special ed. teacher, and my understanding is that the student must receive the services documented in their IEP. If the IEP says 20 min. per week, then that is all she is required to provide. I would assume that you are a member of the IEP team (as a gen. ed. teacher), so if you feel that the child is not being given the services necessary, you have the right to call an IEP meeting to discuss your concerns.
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I find it hard to believe....
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's almost impossible that you have special ed students who qualify for services, but all of them only to the degree of 20 minutes per week.

As the previous poster stated, the IEP for each child should state the number of minutes services required for each child. The IEP is a legal document. You need to get access to each IEP for each student in your class and find out the number of minutes per week each student is to be serviced.

Now, here are the magic words: "We are not in compliance with the IEP."

It works likes this: You email the special ed teacher:

John Jones is a special education student in my math class. He is to be serviced 100 minutes per week in Math. You have been seeing him for just 20 minutes per week. Our school is out of compliance with his IEP. CC the Principal. Repeat for each student on your roster.

Watch things change.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

intheloonybin

Yes,
Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am part of the IEP team, but this is the part that I don't understand. If I have 5 special education students in one class and all of them require 20 minutes of service each, does that mean that if the sp. ed. teacher services only one of them and not the other four on Monday that she is done for the week and doesn't have to come back to service the rest? I know for a fact that one of my kiddos works best with one-on-one, so if she services that one, doesn't she still have to service the other four at another time?

BTW, thanks KSHAW for helping. That info does help quite a bit. It may be too late in the year to fix this for now, but I want to be prepared when schedules are made for next year.

One more thing. I don't want to sound like I expect the sp. ed. teacher to be the only one to help these students. I do my part also according to their IEPs and then some. It's just that when the principal told me this today as I was expressing my concern, it just blew me away.

intheloonybin

Oh thank you...
Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Private Eyes. I LOVE those magic words. I think that will be the ticket to fix this. I just don't see a certified math special education teacher being hired to do 20 min. math for 5th and another 20 min. of math for 6th a week for the entire year and still get paid a full teacher's salary. Grant it she does have paper work...WE ALL DO, but that doesn't mean she get to have the rest of the day as a "planning" period. Thanks so much Private Eyes.

If anyone else has other suggestions or websites, it is still very much appreciated!

intheloonybin

hi!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

if anyone has any other suggestions, please share....thanks!

teabreak

Intheloonybin
Old 06-02-2010, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As PP have said, it depends on what is in the IEP and how many minutes are required.

If you have 5 students in the class on an IEP, lets say for math, and all 5 only require 20 minutes each per week, then she need only be in there for 20 minutes to work with them as a group or be in there for 100 minutes total to work with them individually. It sounds as if she is not communicating with you very well on this. As a team member you have a right to access the IEP. Feel free to ask to see the minutes and any accommodations for these students. If she is not meeting the times on the IEP then use the magic phrase of non-compliance in an email to her and the principal.

Is she the only special educator for your school? She may have to spread out thin if she is. If not, then is she the teacher for your grade level and that is all she has? Does she do any pull-out that you may not be aware of? Just things to think about.

Also, there are no websites with a minimum or maximum time to spend with a student, just what the IEP team determines is necessary for the child to be successful.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Who told you that these students were
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

only to be serviced for 20 minutes a week? Was it the special education teacher? What team would sign off on that? Have you seen the service matrix? Have you two had a chance to talk? Is the special education teacher itinerant, and only at your school on Mondays? There seems to be this default assumption that she is simply not doing her job, and she really doesn't have much of a job to do.

No web site will tell you that inclusion students are only to be serviced 20 minutes a week, because that it not true. I'm an inclusion teacher, and work with students both in pullout and general education. My students are serviced a between 400 to 1400 minutes a week according to individual need and areas of specially designed instruction.

What your questions leave me wondering is if this under-service is a systematic problem with your district that leaves special education teachers in impossible situations? When I first begun teaching in my district, secondary special education teachers were assigned large caseloads of students with vastly different schedules. I had to do inclusion for 4 different classes in a 90 minute block, which was pretty darn ineffective. It was so ridiculous that it became a bargaining issue, and there has been some improvement.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

intheloonybin

A little more info....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My son has been in resource classes from elementary to the grade he is in now, 9th. Now, all elementary (5), intermediate (2), middle school (1) and high school (1) have resource classes...my school is the only one that doesn't. Questionable, huh? We are intermediate campus with a sister campus and that other campus does pull out. When my son was here, they did resource like everyone else. Now our campus doesn't do resource, for the past 3 years, and all other campuses still do resource.

The principal (former sp. ed. teacher) had our sp. ed. teacher call the district sp. ed. director and she is the one that said only 20 minutes per week. So this came from "the top". But I can't find info like that on any IEP.

I just don't see how that helps any student in this program. That's why I'm asking for help on info on this matter. I've been analyzing over and over all of the IEPs, but NONE state how many minutes. There are only phrases such as "inclusion support", "in-class support", and then there are two columns Min. Gen 80 and Min. SpEd 0 with 1 time(s)/day for ALL Sp. Ed student IEPs.

This sp. ed. teacher is only for Math and tends to both 5th and 6th graders. Like I said before, she has lots of paper work, but so does everyone else. She's made comments like "I'm not going in this week cuz I have to do inventory" or "...working on tracking folders" or "...meetings" or "...ARDs" or some other paper work. If the case is just 20 minutes a week, that would total 40 with 5th plus 6th and then she would have the rest of the "week" to do that. This is what I don't understand. Then the prinicpal and sp.ed. director is okay with it? Hmmmm...

Is there some kind of ARD form that I can look up made by state so that I can compare with our school/district forms?

BTW, thanks for everyone's help. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble. I'm just trying to make things right for all teachers and students. Thanks again.

Last edited by intheloonybin; 06-02-2010 at 10:51 AM..

blueheron

It does sound like a district issue, and a
Old 06-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

big one. I hope they get fixed before the district ends up paying a lot of money in lawsuits. Some IEPs have very few minutes, but those are for students who are just getting served in one area. IEPs must have the minutes per each area of SDI (specially designed instruction), whose responsible for the service (consent forms signed by parent and team if non-sped teacher is serving child in SDI), and type of classroom child will be served in. I have to write a separate line for each place if a child is getting served in an area of SDI in both pullout and general education classrooms. This is because of the level of the students I serve. Resource teachers don't have to worry about separate lines.

If you want to pm me your address, I can mail you a sample IEP with all the information blacked out. I don't live in Texas, and I know there are differences in state implementation of IEPs, but IDEA is federal so core elements must be the same.

blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

stunned
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ok, you mentioned that the Sped Director dictated the time for support? That does not pass muster with me. There is something wrong. That is not a sped director decision. No one person makes that decision, the TEAM makes that decision. Were you in any of the IEP meetings? If so, then there should have been a time when the team discussed services and amounts for services.

Sounds like if you have a savvy parent, your school could see itself in a due process hearing soon.

Something is not sitting well with me about this situation. Mainly because it sounds like they are lumping all of the children into one section of time and that is not what an IEP is about.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

Texas help
Old 06-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

IT DOESN"T matter which state you are in we all muo lst comply with the federal standards. This is reflected in the IEP... If a student is taking TAKS A(alt) this test indicated that they are functioning at a level too low (life skills students) and should receive resource services to learn at their level. If they have placed such a child in your room it is for social integration in which they mode appropriate behavior.
If they are taking TAKS acc (accommodated) these are your inclusion students, who are functioning close to grade level but can't handle the amount of work. They lack stamina.
If your student takes TAKS M (modified) they function more than 2 grade levels below and are receiving a Unlike other states Texas doesn't limit the number of students a teacher services. Also, if your students don't take the regular TAKS the special ed person must be providing accommodations to regular unit tests in order for them to be eligible for these tests. Find out how the TAKS accommodations and reguire the spe ed teacher to use the same accommodations all throughout the year. I hope this helps
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote