Help

Special Education

Need info on TC and RR

>

teachnlots

Need info on TC and RR
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to know what a TC does in the elementary school and also the Resource Teacher. I may be put in special ed next year after many years in general ed. I have not ever done these jobs but could possibly be doing both with a large caseload. I need all the information and help in learning about these positions. Please all you TC's and Resource Room teachers respond with whatever you can tell me. TIA

teachnlots is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

what is TC?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never heard of it. Resource Room teacher? I'm a special ed. teacher who works in a resource room setting, but I'm just a special ed. teacher, . My students vary considerably. I don't just serve kids w/LD. My case load includes kids w/ASD, FAS, EBD, and other HI, to name some. I've had students with MR who I've had to advocate/work to get into our Life Skills program and students with behavior so severe that they needed our self contained behavior program.

My caseload is at 23 right now. My first year here it was 30 at the end of the year...last year it was 19. Very deceiving though! My caseload last year was the MOST demanding because of two students. I have two IA's--one pt time and one full time. They are full time jobs alone to keep track of, . They assist and monitor kids in the classroom for more time than they are with me. They also help with small groups at times with me.

What types of things do you want to know?

Do you have special ed. training?
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnlots

I do
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

have special ed. training but it is 20 years old. A TC is a teacher consultant who gives support to the struggling learners who are in the general ed. setting. They would help the general ed. teacher with accomodations and strategies to help the students learn best.
Thanks for your response.
Any and all information will be a help to me
teachnlots is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

TC and RR
Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow, I haven't heard TC used in 20 years when I was one.....Talk about a ton of work. A TC besides consulting with the regular ed teacher on strategies to help those in the regular classroom is responsible for the diagnostic testing of determination of LD placemet. I use to do all academic testing of those suspected of having a learning problem with the help of the psy. who determined IQ we met as a group for initial determination of special ed placement. I was given one afternoon a week to do this diagnostic work... (This was how long it usually took to evaluate a student). As a result of supposedly having the mild kiddos (those who didn't require RR support) my caseload was large 27. Talk about bang for your buck. However, I also serviced RR kids who I gave direct instruction for an academic class.
I hope this scenario has changed especially if you don't have experience with diagnostic evaluation or writing reports. You may want to sit down with either your principal and/or Special ed coordinator to find out the expectations before your start. Remember to ask specific questions. Good Luck
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote