Help

Special Education

autism - Reading issues - dyslexia?

>

momteachsis

autism - Reading issues - dyslexia?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just looking for some advice or comments. I have a student with autism that is struggling to read. He can identify most letters, but still says the name of some letters as if they're inverted (v and u, m and w). He knows letter sounds, but we can't get him to blend letter sounds, or even "sound out" cvc words like cat. If he says the name of the letters in each word C-A-T, he can recall the word for about 30 words that he's memorized. He is usually able to identify the begining sound if you show him a picture of an object. He cannot identify ending sounds. One suggestion we tried was to introduce one simple word chunk with him. Now if he sees the word chunk he will say a list of the words from the word chunk. (For example if the word is hat, he would say "cat, hat, rat, mat, sat, pat, vat) but he can't tell you definitely what the word says.

Any reading programs that anyone can recommend for kids with Autism? Or any advice or strategies you can give me for this student specifically.

momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

How old is he

How old is he

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How old is he? These problems in a first grader are different than in a fourth grader.

momteachsis

Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

He will be a second grader this year.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Java

Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does he know many sight words? If not, you can try supplimenting the phonics instruction with sight words. Edmark Reading Program is a good program to use but it is expensive.

Are you using picture sorts to work on beginning and ending sounds? Having a visual might also be helpful.

Kids usually like starfall.com. It has alot of phonics based activities and games.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

reading
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

remember that autistic children love lists use it. Teach him by sight. Then incorporate phonics when he has the understand that words make up sentences which convey meaning.

grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeanclaude

Use of experience chart/book to teach reading
Old 06-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In cases where a student doesn't seem able to learn phonics and/or sight words I have found that writing about what a student likes or is familiar with helps tremdously in teaching reading. [Ex.: pets, family members, friends, sports, dinosaurs, Scooby Doo, etc.] I incorporate simple sight words in the story. I type a few short sentences on each page, using alot of repetition, and increasing the amount of material on each page. I also make flash cards of each word used. I use small pictures (from M Office) with the word, whenever possible, at the top of the page to introduce new words.
I have one student who is going to be in Kindergarten next year, who has learned at least 60 words.
This is an old idea and does not work for all students. But it's worth a try.
Jeanclaude is offline   Reply With Quote