Help

Special Education

Room Problems!!!!

>

ethootsgrl

Room Problems!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving jobs from a middle school into a new functional position at our district's high school and I am so excited. I am going to have anywhere from 4-7 kids on my caseload (no idea of how many because my coordinator will not return my e-mails) and two of those students are extremely vocal (screamers 90% of the time). They moved my classroom from one room to another because one of my new students requires a carpeted room (this student walks on their knees). Awesome-I was going to be moving into what was once an English room. No cabinets. No kitchen area. Nothing. Oh...and it attached to two rooms. But it was a large room and it had potential to work. I moved all of my stuff in there last weekend.

I was notified today that I will be moving rooms...to the much smaller room that was once a computer lab. The message I got said that it was too small for the class they wanted to have in there so I am going to move in there. Now my room will be attached to...the READING LAB. So...still no kitchen, no cabinets AND now there is NO space and I'll be attached to a quiet classroom!

I have tried to call my administrators and sped coordinator with no return phone calls yet. I've also sent out e-mails expressing my concern because this room is SO small. I know one of my students requires a "time-out" area for cool down-this room has no space for anything like that. I am sooooo frustrated. What can I do?

ethootsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep phoning -- keep emailing. You are doing all you can do at this point. Write down your concerns and keep them with you when you call -- so you can have all of your arguments ready to go -- and you won't forget anything when you finally get a hold of someone! I wouldn't move anywhere else until you talked to someone. Can you stop by the school? Ask the secretary when the person you need to talk to is usually in? What days and such. A face-to-face would be good -- especially to walk the rooms and such.

Good luck! :-)
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

moving
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, get yourself over there and go on a tour with the principal to help seek out another location. Most of the time the principal really has no idea of your needs. It's amazing how being assertive in a positive way really works. Good luck!
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

room
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

boy can I relate. First of all, the classroom next to you will have to get over the idea of you being quiet and if it must be quiet---good point to tell the principal, by the way, if you state has to get ready for the state test the noise in your room will disrupt their learning and the taking of the test. Matter a fact this was the reason I was moved from a specially designed room to a pint size room away from the grade levels which were the testing years.
You can make a sudo time out area by placing file cabinets, books shelves forming a closed off area in the corner of your room. As for the kitchen, if it is in the students IEP that they receive life skills involving cooking then they have to provide a space for you to teach cooking. But I am sure you are aware of that.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote