Help

Special Education

preps?

>

mable007

preps?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In a 12:1:1 classroom, where do students eat? Do they go to specials?

mable007 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvRacing

My experience...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Students eat in the cafeteria with their peers. Usually the paraprofessionals and support staff would accompany them. This would be the teacher's lunch. Once the teacher and students return to the classroom, the paraprofessional(s) would stagger their lunches.

Our students always attended specials. If possible they attended with their typical peers. Again, a paraprofessional or assistant would accompany them.
LuvRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it really depends on the type of class or students you have in the class.
Are the students capable of eating individually or are there behavioral or physical limitations? What grades do the class encompass?
My class is K-5 and for specials, half of the class is mainstreamed-the older ones-at the same time the others in my class are in their own specials with the para. For lunch, my para would stay with the kids and then have a lunch time separate after.
FLteachESE is online now   Reply With Quote

Melar

prep
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a 3rd - 5th grade Special Day class, I will have 6th graders next school year. My students always eat in the cafeteria with the 5th grade classes and attend recesses with 5th graders as well. We do not have specials at my school. My paraprofessional and I eat in our classroom. I have a couple of students who return to the classroom during lunch or recess to cool down if need be. My prep, if you call it that, is during lunch recess. I have been known to work on IEP's during the last 30 -45 minutes of the day while part of my class is mainsteaming for social studies or science.
Melar is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

prep time
Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even though I teach in a resource room type setting, I don't have regular preps...the type that a gen ed teacher would when kids go to music, PE, etc. I have my prep time scheduled in for when my little ones are at lunch and my older ones (I teach K-4th) are at PE, Music or Health. I have kids that have trouble in any other setting, so I am who they go to when they have problems. I try to get some time in at the end of the day, but it depends on how many meetings I have and what is going on with my kids.

This past year, I tried a new thing--send my IA to Science with my toughest guy who is with me almost all day...and I had a little time to work on paperwork and plan for the following week. It fell through for various reasons, but I'm going to try again this year...maybe a different time or day, but I'm not going to give up. I want to get away from spending every Saturday morning at school planning for the week.

newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

preps
Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class is a 5:1:1 yes, I have severe kids. They all have lunch in the cafeteria with my aide so I may eat. Then based on behavior they attend specials. Since I run a multi-grade class scheduling a prep is difficult. In the past I have had another special ed teacher relieve, I have also had my aide relieve me when there is only 1 student in class. Remember it is required by law that every teacher have a prep period of the same length.

Last edited by grace slick; 06-30-2010 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: oops
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote