Help

Special Education

Im joining you..

>

mable007

Im joining you..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just hired as a 3rd grade Self-contained teacher. I am sure that I will have millions of questions for everyone.

mable007 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

new
Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

welcome, what grade level and type of Special ed students will you be working with
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations! I was in your situation last year. . . it's very exciting and scary at the same time. You'll find lots of great ideas here.
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

mable007

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was told it is 3rd grade self contained. They are on a H reading level. It is not a behavior management class. The P keeps telling me about how sweet these kids are. Not sure what to expect.

Is it too babyish to do a morning meeting?

kshaw

Morning meeting. . .
Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would do a morning meeting. It will be a good way to get to know your students. It was very helpful for my little guys as many of them couldn't tell you what day it was and didn't understand how a calendar works. Check out this awesome website - she has morning meeting and greeting cards that you can print out. http://www.bainbridgeclass.com/morningmeeting.htm

I would also suggest looking into The Daily 5 and Cafe. These programs have worked SO well in my classroom. If you are interested, I could share with you how I have modified it to work for me. (Check out the Peony room on the home page -near the bottom- for more info.)

Other questions. . .
Do you have any assistants / paras working with you?

Do you know the levels / disabilities for any of your kids? (the reason I ask is because you will need to prepare differently for a 3rd grade autistic child than for a 3rd grade child with dyslexia)

As far as what to expect. . . I went into my job thinking I could do anything for a couple of years. To my surprise, I totally fell in love with my students and my position. It was VERY challenging and VERY rewarding. Go into it with a positive attitude (it sounds like you already have that). I'm going to attach a poem that I found that really helped me deal with parents.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Welcome to Holland.doc (144.0 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by kshaw; 07-02-2010 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: added website

LuvRacing

Welcome!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mable007- Congrats on your new job! I'm sure you'll have questions. Even the most seasoned pros have questions. Ask away...someone on this board will have an answer for you.

Kshaw gave some great advice. If possible, read student IEPs before the first day of school. I teach 6th/7th grade (self-contained) students on a 2nd-4th grade level. You will need to prepare to instruct students differently. Also, do any of these students require a specialized (reading or math) program? You will want to prepare yourself prior to the arrival of the students.

Most importantly- breathe! Take each day as it comes and laugh too!!!

Kshaw- thanks for the welcome letter. I never read that before...plan to save it for my parents.
LuvRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

RAD

Welcome
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Congratulations on your job Mabel007. I teach Developmentally Disabled and students with a variety of other disabilities in the Middle School. I have been teaching this level for 27 years and I love it.
I think you should do a morning meeting. Even in the middle school I go over calendar skills, etc. almost everyday. I just adjust what we are doing to meet the skills of my students.
Feel free to ask all the questions you want. PT members are the best about helping out.

KShaw - I love the poem. I will be saving that!! Thanks for sharing.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

the poem. . .
Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love it too! I have it posted in my classroom as a daily reminder. Parents can be a pain to deal with, but I am so thankful that my students are lucky enough to have parents who love them dearly.

texassunshine

the poem
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think you need to be careful with that poem. While it is a great perspective for us teachers, its not something I would hand out to your parents. I am nannying this summer for a 6 week old infant with downs and they have been asking me lots of questions about the sped process. I mentioned that poem and the dad looked at me...and looked totally annoyed...he said they had read the entire book by the woman who had written the poem and that it had been somewhat shoved down their throat since their baby had been diagnosed at 29 weeks pregnant. The dad said it wasn't like that at all for them. He said you dont grieve the death of a trip. But you have to grieve the death of your perfect child. He said he loves his baby but its hard for him to see the tulips. I understand his perspective and maybe it was just because they are so new to this.

I agree that it is a good thing to think about for teachers...but i would be careful handing it out to your parents.
texassunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

texassunshine
Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good point. I have not shared it with parents. They could read it if they wanted to, but I don't think any of them ever have. I agree that some parents may not feel the same way, but I do think it helps educators remember the pain and joy that parents of children with special needs may experience.

mable007

Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do not have a para, I have 10 kids. At 12, you need a para. I looked at their reading levels and they seem to be on a level I/J as a class. (some are higher, some are lower).

I have definitely read that poem before, but its always nice to read again. I am very excited to meet these kids and prepare my room. we do not start until beginning sept.

I have read Daily 5 already, and have a few things planned out. I can not find the Cafe book though. Ill order it online.

teacher333

Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think a morning meeting would be great for this group. It will help you gauge if they are ready to continue the day, what they did when they left school the day before, who forgot meds that morning, who might have some issues that need to be resolved. It gives the class a chance to realize they are part of a team.
teacher333 is offline   Reply With Quote