Help

Magnolia Room

Dislike RC

>

chasey

Dislike RC
Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school has just started this program this year. Only 2 teachers were sent to the meeting, then expected to teach the rest of us. Well they crammed what they could remember in a day 1/2. This is where the fun begins....students that were always used to seeing some kind of chart ~ it's gone!! YAY, let's party, just an oral correction is not working reteaching, redoing,re re re..... is not happening with this bunch. (Pretty much they can care less)
Do any of you do RC and also use a chart as well? Or is it across the board no charts. I really wanted to put the clip chart into my class this year. Thanks on any feed back. HOPEFULLY it gets better, it's the 2nd week of school....praying

happygirl444
Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
This message has been deleted by happygirl444.

Mrs. R :)

Contact NEFC directly
Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please contact NEFC directly and share your story. They will help you, but you have to call them.

Teachers who attend an RC Institute are not allowed to "train" other teachers. They can share what they learned, but they can not train others. I went through a 2-year process to become a Consulting Teacher. I am only allowed to train teachers in my District. So, I urge you to call them. Real people will answer their phones and give you great advice for school-wide support.

PLEASE! I am begging you. There is a reason you know about this Board and The Responsive Classroom Approach. You are meant to help. So give them a call.

Let us know how you make out....
Quote:
To learn more about schoolwide consultation services, please contact Allison Evans at 800-360-6332 ext. 143 or allison@responsiveclassroom.org.
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/p...wideimple.html

chasey

Thanks happygirl444
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much Happy girl!! I need to keep a positive outlook on it Trying OH wow!! good to know MRS. R, well I guess it was what they remembered/ what they learned "teaching us" b/c that's all it was which is horrible for us. Thanks

happygirl444

Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I deleted my reply because I thought I was off target with my response after reading Mrs. R's response. But, I do have to say that Responsive Classroom is THE BEST THING about my teaching. Nothing else could work as well without it. I do also encourage you to contact NEFC--they are honestly the nicest group of people I've ever worked with; they genuinely care and will jump to help you.

I have to reinterate though, go slow and you'll be okay. And, again, we're here to help. Anything we can do to help, we will.

Here are the resources I listed for you which are just a start:

The First Six Weeks of School, Denton & Kriete (maybe they will rush ship it for you because of the circumstances??? no harm asking)

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/n.../22_2nl_1.html (interactive modeling)

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/m...dia/index.html (video clips)

Mrs. R :)

Old 08-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One more thing that I'd like to say...and I know Happy is saying this too, so I really want to say she's making a GREAT point.

Keep an open mind about RC. Your District clearly has the right idea trying to bring RC to you and your colleagues. And in this day and age of no money and high standards and accountability, they are really trying to give you some meaningful and purposeful PD, but they are just not able to send many of you to an Institute. They are expensive!

Do some reading. Have some lunch chats with the colleagues that did get to go to RCI. Ask to see their Resource Book. Maybe your public library has some copies of the books from NEFC. Try your best to find out more. Don't give up because the district has it's hands tied!

Happy gave you TERRIFIC resources. And RC is also on Facebook and YouTube, so be sure to surf around.

Keep coming here and you'll get through. Who knows, you may even come to LOVE RC!

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too am a RC lover. I have been to two training levels and plan to use this approach until I retire. I am also looking into training others...

I would say get your hands on the books. Read these and possibly set up a study group where you and some colleagues could read and discuss together the strategies of RC. Ask your admin to get you the books if they are planning to go RC with the whole district.

I am also going to agree with Happy and Mrs R. Call the NEFC. They really are nice and very helpful. All contact I have ever had with them has been positive and more important-helpful to me and my students.

You need to check out the RC website which a pp already posted. Here you can read articles,blogs and watch videos.

Get the following books:
The First Six Weeks of School
The Morning Meeting Book
88 Energizers
The Rules in School and get the CD too. It is very helpful.

Also keep posting here and we will help with what we can.
Good luck!!

2nd21st

Don't give up!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

RC has changed the way I teach dramatically! It can be a big shift though and can seem daunting. Although all the components are intertwined, I would suggest picking a few things to really try to focus on for this year....maybe getting a morning meeting done every day with all four parts and working on your teacher language. As you get more confident with those pieces, you can start adding in other components as you have a chance to learn about them and hopefully discuss with your coworkers. And if you can get your administration to pay for an RC consultant to come do a one day overview at the very least, you will be on your way! Good luck!