Help

Magnolia Room

rewards

>

cookiemon

rewards
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How is whole group and individual praise/rewards used in a RC classroom? I was going to drop marbles in a large jar and give out tickets for good behavior. Can these types of "praise" be used in a RC classroom?

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The dropping marbles, giving tickets and changing cards systems are typically NOT RC practices and they do not promote students doing the right thing for the sake of what is RIGHT. These type of rewards produce children who work for rewards or who behave for rewards. I am against these types of systems. I have used them in the past and they did not work for long. It got old and the kids would always ask, "What are we going to get for this?"

Having a Time Out spot and using logical consequences are ways to teach children to care and be intrinsically motivated to behave and learn. I have explained to my students in the past that in this classroom we do not behave or work for rewards...we do what is right and we learn to care. So far so good.

Last edited by TeacherBB; 08-28-2010 at 08:56 AM..

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Cookiemon, If you are beginning to use RC strategies - morning meeting, teacher language, logical consequences - eventually, you will find that you don't really need your marble jar any more.
My advice is to keep working on the positive teacher language, and the other parts of RC. Don't feel like you have to change everything at once. That can be overwhelming, and I think, impossible!
Peggy