Help

Magnolia Room

need morning meeting help.

>

KyTeach3

need morning meeting help.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to RC this year. I'm having trouble with many kids remaining quiet and listening to others. For example, once they greet a classmate they talk to their neighbor instead of listening to others. We have made up our rules. I've reminded and reinforced. I've praised students who listen but I'm getting very agitated with this behavior. I feel I spend the whole meeting correcting behavior or waiting silently, showing our quiet signal . Any suggestions?

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tell them that Morning Meeting will be canceled if you have to remind too many times. Set a numnber like three....this is a logical consequence (loss of privelage)... Then follow through. I have had to cancel several morning meetings due this very problem. It worked for a LONG time before I had to cancel again.

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Modeling the greeting, be sure to model what to do when you are finished with your turn. What do you notice? I was sitting and watching and listening to the next person. Then everyone practices. It is good to note that being patient during greeting is something for us to be working on the next time. Be up-front about the class goal.

Kids will need coaching and some empathy. It's not easy to sit and watch others, but we all need to watch the rest of the class. This is why we use morning meeting to practice these much needed skills. This is the place to do it - once they know how to wait and listen during a greeting, then they will be ready for more complicated listening during sharing. These skills can then be transferred to the rest of the day - and the pay-off for time spent practicing this during morning meeting is immense! Be patient, believe they can do it (they can) keep up the reinforcing their effort and successes, and you'll be glad you stuck with it.
Peggy