Help

Magnolia Room

Stressing out

>

superteacher0

Stressing out
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, today was my first day, and I think I may have blown it already with my new class! I tried to fit in guided discoveries, trips around the school, bathroom visit, and daily 5/cafe lessons. I got maybe 1/2 of my list done. It took 25 minutes to teach the silent signal. No joke. I teach first, and it took maybe 10 minutes last year, 15 minutes the year before.

I felt like all I did all day was tell them how to do things and praise kids who were doing well. BUT, I had a hard time with some kids who were testing me (I can't believe it! THe first day?!) and I did point out several times, "Oh, no... _____ forgot to ______." I had one child who pushed me to my limits - he is special ed. without an aide. He was talking and yelling out questions to other students throughout all of my lessons. Finally, I said, "NO, you may not do talking during a lesson. You may stay at your table until you are ready to be quiet." He just continued. I interrupted myself to ask him to be quiet SOOO many times today. It did not work. During another lesson, I snapped at another student for helping him when he was interrupting the lesson.

The other kids seemed sad for him, and were trying to think of ways to help him. I just sent him away from our circle to a table, because I couldn't deal with him, my other special ed. student who is distracted every 2 seconds, and another gen. ed. student who tests every single boundary. When these 3 misbehave, the others start to misbehave too.

I slowed WAY down today, but I felt so frustrated, and then disappointed that I was pushed to my limits by someone who probably can't even control himself. I don't want to come to that again.

Sooo... responsive classroom gurus, is it normal to have a really rough first day when you focus mainly on rules the entire day? I know we all have tough students in our classes. Is there some trick I don't know about that can help me to regain my students' respect tomorrow? I'm struggling to know what to do!

broad

I feel for you
Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel for you. It sounds like the nightmare I just had last night - I had to teach a music class to kids aged from 5 to high school seniors and none of them would do what I asked. It was chaos and really horrible. I'm glad to be awake and up at 4:30 a.m.

I sometimes wonder if Responsive Classroom works with groups like yours. I'm wondering if kids get the impression when we are calm and nice to them that they can take advantage. I've been teaching for ever, I'm 64 and now teach lst grade. I've always struggled with discipline because I don't like to confront generally or get loud like many of my colleagues. I love the responsive classroom approach in theory but it's not always so easy or successful. I don't know the answers and hope you get other replies and suggestions. It sounds like you might have to be extra tough with this class. It really isn't fair when you have no help with special kids who have behavior issues. I think too much is expected of us as teachers. I know this doesn't help but I really empathize.

It also sounds like you are trying to do too much the first day - not your fault. Maybe slow down and just work on the procedures. Have you tried doing it the wrong way and then the right way. Kids really seem to get this.

I hope you get ideas and help or you might burn out. I resigned twice from different schools in September because I could not cope with the class. I'm not proud of this but it happened and I survived to teach again.

Good luck.

SGavin

Superteacher0
Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Isn't that all of our nightmares before school starts? I am sorry that it actually happened in real life... and on your first day!!! I wouldn't call myself a guru of R.C. but I have been using it for two years and it has made a HUGE difference in my classrooms, my teaching, and my sanity haha, so don't give up! One thing you might try is instead of telling the children about the procedures, model them! Show them the procedures and ask them what they noticed. This will do 2 things (1) get the kids engaged, and (2) hold them accountable. So when little Stevie acts up in the hallway you can say to him "Stevie what did you tell the class about walking in a line this morning".

Also, I would teach the Positive Time Out chair ASAP!!! My first two days of school were a little rough, but once we practiced going to the chair and calming down, things have gone a lot smoother! This lets the other children who would normally be behaving that misbehaviors won't be tolerated, and that there are consequences... logical consequences As for your testers and Sped. student, are there any resources in your building? Any process you can go through with this student who doesn't have a T.A. to be reassessed? Coaches or Admin who are willing to help? Etc..... because you aren't alone if nothing else you have PT!

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Every year is different, and it sounds like this year you have found out that this time it will take longer to teach the silent signal, and probably every other routine that you have in your classroom. So, plan accordingly. This is the time to get to know the kids and what they need in order to learn the routines. If it takes twice as long to learn to respond to the quiet signal, what does that tell about how they will be learning math and reading and writing? The first weeks of school is all about getting to know the kids.

They can learn that, no matter what, their teacher is calm and matter-of-fact about what needs to happen with the signal, and lining up, and listening. Believe that they can do it. Smile.

The other kids have already tuned into what's happening and that's great - they have the empathy they need to get along and learn together. Maybe this is where you can reinforce their kindness and understanding. Being in school is not easy!

Remember all the others who are following the procedures, give out generous doses of reinforcing language. Breathe.

Eat right, exercise, get enough sleep ! You can do it.
Peggy