Logical consequence for continual blurting? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

Logical consequence for continual blurting?

>

iarunner

Logical consequence for continual blurting?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any ideas for continual blurting? My lower elementary students keep blurting... it isn't that they don't know what a word is, or they don't understand. Their blurts are about their personal life, something they did, or something they know that someone has done.

husky2

Secret Signal
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have found that there is one of these in almost every classroom. Sometimes a private conversation with the student about the problem can help. Let them know that when they blurt things out, they are disrupting the class. What they have to say is important, so instead of blurting, they can give you a secret signal that they have something to say. Tell them that you will call on them shortly after you see the secret signal. Do so, but begin to wait longer and longer each time, thus building their self control. There is a great book called My Mouth is a Volcano that addresses this issue as well.

Mmckie2000

Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A 2nd grade teacher in my school uses a clip chart with the students name. As they have having discussions about the lessons, each child is allowed one opportunity to share something. If they blurt out, she moves their clip to the sectioned labeled "Already shared." She says that a few times the child would blurt out the correct answer, and she wouldn't give them credit for saying it. Naturally, another child will raise their hand and say the answer and she tells that child what a great answer it was and thanks them for following the rules to share. She says that it has worked for her.

Tileah

Develop Self-Control
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In thinking about a way to be proactive in helping this child with self-control (blurting is essentially a need to develop self-control), what about selecting greetings and activities in your morning meeting that work on developing self-control?