Help

Magnolia Room

art projects

>

Jule

art projects
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did you incorporate any art projects into your first week that supported RC in some way?
I'm looking for something to put on the walls before we are ready for our Hopes and Dreams board. Thanks.

Mrs. R :)

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could post the creations they make when you do your Guided discovery of crayons, markers, colored pencils, water colors.

I have done some simple graphing projects where they have used their scissors after a GD. And glue sticks. And our "classroom tools".

I've also had them complete 2 sequencing projects related to apples/Johnny Appleseed that used all the classroom tools.

Does that give you some ideas?

How long have you been in school?

Jule

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks as always Mrs. R. We're not starting until Monday. Those ideas are perfect. I just met with the other 2nd grade teacher's and they are doing lots of artsy things - educational - the first days.

Hmm. Actually, maybe I'll do this - I don't have a lot of time for prep. Give out pieces of construction paper and have them cut actual shapes and create a school scene using the shapes. That will use scissors, glue sticks, maybe markers or crayons, sharing materials, practice on avoiding lots of scrap paper when cutting. Do you think that's okay for the first day of 2nd?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A probing question for you:

Have your students experienced Guided Discovery before?

If not, I'm wondering if that might be too much GD for the first day. I teach first grade, so I do go a bit slower, but I teach colored pencils/regular pencils day 1;fat markers/skinny markers day 2 morning; crayons day 2 afternoon; scissors day 3 morning; glue sticks day 3 afternoon; all things used together day 4 with lots of reminding/reinforcing/redirecting language.

So, maybe you can introduce scissors and glue sticks day 1 save the papers and day 2 introduce the art tools and color? But even that may be too fast... what do you think?

Jule

On second thought
Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think you are right. I'm just going to use crayons and markers which I will introduce with gd. We're going to do a name plate glyph on day one. Very honestly, that might be enough for the first day because it's already jam packed and it a short day. The next day I can introduce scissors and maybe just have them cut the paper. Next day glue sticks.

Would you briefly share your Johnny Appleseed project that uses all the tools.

Thanks, Ms. R.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a paper that has 4 apples one whole, one with 1 bite taken, 1 with 2 bites taken and then only the core. They color, cut and glue in order.

Nothing fancy, and I bet you can find something out there like it. Any sort of sequencing would work...even a seed to tree thing. I can't post it b/c I didn't create it.

Does the idea help you, though?