Help

Magnolia Room

how to deal in a 'responsive' way?

>

pvs2013

how to deal in a 'responsive' way?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a self-contained 6th grade of 23. I looped with my class last year and have 19 of the same students, with four new ones.

One of my old students has a number of behavior issues (ADHD/defiance). He's a charming, warm-hearted, funny, friendly kid -- unless you set him off, and he can be set off easily (by social conflicts, being disciplined, power struggles etc.). My other old students know him and understand how to be around him, and although life in our classroom is not perfect they mostly know how to deal with him and brush him off if need be. We deal with may classroom issues in weekly class meetings.

Today was the third day of school, and now that we're past the 'honeymoon period' this student had several conflicts with the new students. He pushed past two of my new girls in the hall today and had a PE conflict with the new boy. They did not tattle to me, but they looked upset. He sits near my third new girl and halfway through the day today she said she did not want to sit next to him anymore. Tonight at Back to School night her parents said she loves everything about her new school except him, and they mentioned that she had had numerous conflicts with him over the day, including him spitting water on her.

I want to respect her desire to have a better learning situation and not to sit near him. I also think that forcing him to move or sit alone will elicit a negative response, and possible behavior backlash/power struggle from him. I try to stay out of any potential power struggle with this student.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!