Help

Magnolia Room

Grrrr

>

rSquirrel

Grrrr
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We started talking about Apology of Action today and about how our feelings get hurt when people do or say things.

WE talked about teasing, leaving people out, making fun of people, laughing at people etc

During the discussion one girl in my class raises her hand to answer a question and she has a stutter. About 8 kids started laughing out loud at her!!!!

I was so freaking pissed off!!!! This is EXACTLY what we are talking about right now and you laugh at her????

You guys never raise your hands or participate or join in discussions and youre going to make her feel bad and hurt her feelings. I was fuming at these grade 3 kids. ( I teach 1, 2, 3)

I had to stop the discussion because they wouldnt stop laughing at her. HOW RUDE!!

What should I have done with them???

I was so mad I didnt know what to say . I just ended it and moved some of the kids off the carpet into chairs.

Any advice to be calm and use RC language when I wanted to scream at them for being so rude and disrespectful?

Mrs. R :)

Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A problem solving conference with the 3 of them and then an Apology of Action.

Here is a great resource for PSC.
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/p...oblems-Ch2.pdf

This one is a bit quicker read...
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/n.../16_4nl_1.html

Let me know your thoughts after you read...

And let me add..
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You did the right thing by stopping, moving the children off the rug and collecting yourself. You were so angry, and needed to get your emotions under control before addressing the situation. that was perfect.

In the moment, I might say "Stop. What are you doing right now?" They would hopefully answer "Laughing." Then I might redirect them to our rules. "In this classroom, we agreed to take care of everyone. Are you doing that when you laugh at someone?"

I would also step back and think about what is causing the behavior. perhaps, these children have never known a child who stutters. Maybe inviting someone in to talk about it would be a good idea (Speech/Language Therapist maybe?) I bet your Librarian can get you a great book that deals with this issue... turn it into a teachable moment and you'll be surprised what that can do to empower your little one with a stutter. be sure to include that child as well.

Listen, one of our core principles is knowing your children is just as important as knowing the content you teach. think about why the behavior is occuring and try to target that...

But taking a deep breath is always a good first step! Well done and i know you can do this.
Mrs. R

Adams

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Those eight kids that were laughing, I would put them on the spot and make them explain and defend their actions - which they will be unable to do. Then I would go at great lengths to make sure they understand the harm they caused and review the lesson that they should have understod. Next I would again require them to explain and defend their actions.

This will not be pleasant for them nor should it be. Hopefully they will pause and consider their actions in the future before acting in this manner again.

rSquirrel

Thanks Mrs R
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can relate to a part in the article where it says "I have so many issues throughout the day that could turn into problem solving conferences"

Its all I would be doing!

Im trying really hard to follow through with the consequences given....but I often forget its so darn busy!

How do you remember what you have mentioned to kids?

( ex. A girl had to fix another boys bookbin because she was carrying it improperly and broke off the top. I forgot I had said that to her earlier until she mentioned it to me because she had to do it before she went out for recess at least was honest..lol)

I think I have mentioned to you before about the makeup of my class and how we are a just a bunch of wild turkeys at times. So it seems.

Thanks again for the helpful reading material. I will add it to my stack of other things I need to read right now and by now I mean yesterday ( I did read the shortened version and some of the longer one )

Relevant, Reasonable, Realistic
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am glad you appreciate the resources. You are doing the best you can for these kids in your class at this time. Don't be too harsh on yourself for not getting everything. We don't even teach PSC in RCI. That comes in RCII, so you are already ahead of yourself.

Just make sure that any LC you devise meets these 3 criteria. If it isn't going to be realistic for you to follow-through, you'll have to devise another plan.

Try if you can to have the child complete the LC as soon as possible. I am forgetting your grade, but could you have set up the little girl with some tape and let her fix it then and there? Regardless, you still applied a realistic and relevant LC and I bet she even felt better for being able to fix it.

I think you have a great question, though. Maybe we caould start another post and see how other manage to remember the LC they give.

I have a few more ideas, but let's see if others care to chime in about this one...