setting up visual schedules. need some advice! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

setting up visual schedules. need some advice!

>

muggleish

setting up visual schedules. need some advice!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I am going into my 6th year as a elementary life skills teacher for students with moderate intellectual disabilities and Autism (Two). My students understand and use their current schedules well. (Too a fault... I have taught them well, but that makes sudden changes tricky. ). I really want to change up the layout and give them a better understanding of the change of the day. So I have three different sections with around five icons for each time of days. The icons are on a subject divider and will be different colors for each time of day. Morning, mid day, and afternoon. Do you think this will be overwhelming for them? A lot is going on, but I think with training they will get the hang of it!! Thoughts? Care to share how you put together visual schedules? Picture attached. These will be housed in a binder in their desks.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by muggleish; 05-21-2016 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: forgot picture
muggleish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Looks good to me...
Old 05-21-2016, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Mine are similar but I have my two strips on the outside of the binder and the others are stored inside. That way the student only sees the tasks for the immediate present and doesn't get confused or overwhelmed. I also keep a little strip about 2" long along the edge with their "choice" for their reward time. [I ask them to pick from two or three acceptable (to me) rewards and we put it there in the corner so they have a reminder of what will come when they are done.]

Also, they are not messing with opening and closing the whole binder for each individual activity. When that set of tasks are all moved to the "done," they get a reward. While they are doing that preferred activity, I or the para will move those tasks to the correct inside page and preload the top strip with the next set of tasks.

I have a couple other plastic pages with velcro in the binder with extra cards on them for when we change it up. I don't have a picture with me because we are out of school already.

The only other difference is that I turn the binder horizontally and the picture cards run side to side inside of up and down. When the task is completed, the card is moved down to the completed strip.

It is like this but with only a small strip for the third row. This is a picture off the internet:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/322009...-1/s-l1000.jpg
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

muggleish

Old 05-21-2016, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kiddos do well without immediate reinforcements so they know they are working for the free time in the afternoon. I might do more reinforces throughout the day. Thanks for the input!

readandweep

Schedule within a schedule
Old 05-22-2016, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't do this with my students (my students are a little older), but I have seen schedules set up with mini schedules.

So if you do center rotations or do gross-motor play in another room, you would have a horizontal strip with three to four icons on the main schedule at the time you would do this. The mini schedule is portable and the students can take it with them to centers or the other room.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

muggleish

Old 05-22-2016, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do stations (centers basically) but they have a separate schedule for that is just numbers to tell them the rotation.

Goats4me

Muggleish
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Those look awesome! So glad you shared!
Goats4me is offline   Reply With Quote

muggleish

Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No problem! I want to revamp my visuals this summer. Can't wait to share!

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

To address the idea of sudden changes being difficult, one way you can actually work some flexibility into your schedule (helping to encourage some adaptability for kids that can generalize to some extent) is to have a "surprise" block in there. A question mark somewhere in the lineup. During that time, you do an activity they weren't expecting. Something easy that they have success with, and initially very short. As they get used to the "surprise" block, you can extend the time and start adding in different types of activities.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll have to do some digging to see if I ever took a picture of my schedules. I had them on a cabinet door (lack of wall space) and each kid has their name on their laminated card stock. I had 4 velcros on top and 3 on the bottom. I really should've done 4 and 4. Anyway, I set the schedules up every day and we do rotations of 20 minutes. That gets us through to lunch then after lunch I set them up again.

I had first and second graders and didn't want to do too many icons.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote