Help

Special Education

Probably won't finish the curriculum freaking out

>

ST13

Probably won't finish the curriculum freaking out
Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher and I'm just trying to keep my head above water at this point in the year.

Well, it looks like it's going to be a CLOSE call for us to finish the math curriculum this year. My time management was 100% off. It took me a month to figure out what specifically I was even supposed to teach. Plus, call me crazy but I did not move forward until I knew my kids understood the topic (looking a you long division and fractions) so basically I have been digging myself into a gigantic hole since September and I can't get out. We are a chapter away from finishing the math curriculum and there are two weeks before grades are due. I already got reprimanded from admin because my students did not pass the state test.

This isn't normal right? I should be reviewing like the gem Ed classes are? What if I don't finish ... Has this happened to anyone?

Freaking out

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-03-2016, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

what grade? I assume you're sped...resource? self-contained? mild/moderate?

reprimanded for students not passing test? whoa

I have tons of thoughts.

In my 13 years of teaching, only ONCE did I finish the entire curriculum and that was with a reg. ed class of half gifted students.

That sounds like a really hectic situation to work in.

If sped students can't pass a state test, perhaps they need to be screened for alternate assessments.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am like a resource room teacher but I also push in to certain classes.

Apparently my kids do not qualify for any alternate testing from what I understand. It's been so hectic because at first I figured if I don't finish my math curriculum surely my admin will understand since we go at a much slower pace than gen Ed. But when I basically got in trouble because my kids failed the test I started thinking maybe admins expectations were different Than mine
ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

sounds like a good conversation to have

I wish all admins understood more about sped.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

Old 06-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too am a pull-out resource teacher (I've done LAL & Math) and then push into the gen. ed class my students are in as their "homeroom" for science/social studies. What does your Special Ed. director say about finishing the curriculum? And passing the test? This year my district adopted a new math curriculum that is more common core aligned and rigorous, in my professional opinion it wasn't appropriate for my resource students; therefore, I didn't use it & I told my supervisor that I wasn't using it & it was ok with them, as long as I was following our curriculum guidance document. I could never spend so much time until they completely understood or mastered something, because their attention span couldn't handle that. They became bored even if they didn't completely understand yet. Often we would work on a main skill every week and review previous skills throughout the week, but we kept moving through the curriculum. My supervisor has said that they don't care about the scores as long as they are making progress, though I'm beginning to think that how the special ed students do on the state test matters to other supervisors. It's resource, you're suppose to be moving at a slower pace then the gen. ed. classes, don't compare yourself to them. I made that mistake my first year too. I wouldn't worry too much about not finishing the book. If you want to hit all the skills that are in the rest of the book, I would say shorten the time spent on them, don't do all the pages, just enough to introduce the skill so they've seen it. Good luck.

ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote