Help

Special Education

Caseload Management/Organization

>

ElemenTchr

Caseload Management/Organization
Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you use to keep track of/manage your caseload?

I found this on Tpt: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...Binder-1328117

It peaked my interest, but I haven't taken the leap to purchase it yet.

I wanted to get some input from other Special Ed. teachers and see what you use.

TIA for your suggestions.

ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unless you really, really want the cute graphics, I definitely wouldn't pay for something like this. You could very easily create it yourself. Looking at the pages in the binder, you'll have to input most of the specific information yourself anyway, so really you are paying $12 for pages with cute borders.

My first year I had one big binder and found it just didn't work. I went to having one small binder for each student. Each one just has a regular 8 tab divider in it. Here's what mine look like:

First page (before any of the tabs start): Sticker tracking sheet with each IEP goal listed. For example, "I can read this many words in one minute" and then I have a have a little chart going up in increments of 5 where the student can put a sticker on once they reach each increment.

First tab: IEP (sometimes our computer system goes down, so I've found it helpful to have a backup copy).

2nd-5th tabs: Progress monitoring probes related to specific goals. For example, the "reading fluency" tab would have the dibels passages printed out for that student, etc. That way when I go to progress monitor, I can just pull out their binder and have everything I need right there. If it's a goal we don't do electronic monitoring on (basically everything except DIBELS), then I also have a sheet in the front of the tab with the date and their progress monitoring score.

6th tab: Data- This is where I keep DIBELS charts or progress monitoring data sheets from previous goals, since I have students for more than one year.

7th tab: Work samples- I keep anything that I think is relevant and put it there.

8th tab: Parent contact log

We use google calendar for IEP and other meetings, so all of that information is on there and I don't print it out. Even though I'm the case manager for most students, most students also have other service providers so we have to schedule meetings together anyway. We usually do 2-3 months ahead during our team meetings.

I keep my daily/weekly schedule on a clipboard on my desk. We have a transient population and my schedule changes frequently, so I find myself needing to look at it more than you would think.

Most of the other sheets listed in the TPT binder are things I wouldn't need written down/already know: acronyms, contact lists, accommodations, caseload list, etc. We also have our own district IEP meeting checklists that we're required to do.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

Binder didn't work for me..
Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I bought and downloaded one of those binders my first year and it just didn't work for me. I had over 30 kids on my caseload and it was just too much to keep all in one place. Over the past 6 years I've tried different things each year, but the organizational system that has worked best for me started 2 years ago. I inherited one of those rolling carts with drawers (usually seen at Michaels/Walmart where each drawer is a different color) and I assigned each kid on my caseload a drawer. (I moved to self-contained so my caseload now fits in a rolling cart!) Inside of the drawer I have 5 file folders for each kid as well as their IEP blue folder (the official district folder with all of their legal IEP paperwork in it): ELA, Math, Assessments, and Other (parent contact, random stuff from their gen ed teachers, etc.) In ELA & Math I keep all of their work samples and I'm able to just toss them into their bin as they do them for review later. In the assessments folder I have IEP progress monitoring probes/worksheets/testing materials in page protectors with labels on them. Each probe has a printed label with the IEP objective that it is testing so I don't constantly have to look back at IEPs or snapshots. For example, on a printed out list of Fry's First 100 Words, I might have a sticker attached to the top that says "Johnny - will read 60/100 words by April 2016" so I know what I'm progress monitoring for.
The progress monitoring page protectors/label system takes awhile to set-up in the beginning of the year but saves A LOT of time in the long run!! And having each child have their own drawer makes it so much easier to bring everything I have on a kid to an IEP meeting or home at night to write an IEP.
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

wouldn't work for me either
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like the previous posters stated, having one binder for all, just doesn't work for most. I have had up to 30 students as well.

I have binders (one inch, usually) for each student-labeled with names, on a shelf in my room. I print colorful 'cover pages' for the front-each grade level has the same picture or design (I teach K-5).

I keep data on their goals and relevant work samples. Charts, etc., as appropriate, for kids with behavior and social goals and plans.

Most students love looking back at their work and their progress. They put their work in the binders themselves, most of the time. At the end of the year, many of the primary students use the work samples for their culminating portfolios. These are shared at an end of year 'celebration' where parents are invited.

I have a locked file cabinet where I keep a file and folder(s) for each student. This is where I keep my copies of evals, IEPs, BIPS, any confidential paperwork, and documentation of phone calls or emails. This doc. (all phone convos and printed emails) is usually limited to situations that could become 'tricky').

I also keep a 1/2 in. binder on my desk containing our district print-outs of student info for each of my students. This is one sheet with telephone, address, parent and guardian contacts, emergency contacts, health and allergy quick info. I laminate each sheet. I use this constantly, when I call parents to set up IEP meetings. Sometimes I will put sticky notes with info on these pages because I use it so often. This can be another doc. of phone calls and emails, if needed.

I also have a health info folder which I pop into my sub folder anytime I'm gone. It has info on any allergies or documented health info (nurse makes up the sheets) for my specific students. I should probably have two separate ones; one to put in sub folder and one for my desk.

I also keep an email folder with "parent contact and information" on my work email. At the end of the year, I will go through these emails and delete or print off, as appropriate. If I am passing the student to the upper grade sped teacher, I will sometimes print off any info that she will find helpful.

Like Haley said, I have a school email calendar (google) that keeps track of meetings. I can doc. phone calls there as well, to be safe.

Our IEP program (IEP online) docs. meetings (rather I doc. on the program) so no need to have a separate sheet keeping track of meetings.

You have to do what works for you. I glanced at the TPT product and knew immediately that it wouldn't work for me. There is a lot of extra 'stuff' in there.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Caseload management
Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In all reality I use Google Spreadsheets to document progress. I am not a paper person and prefer to have all of my documentation on my computer as it is easier to take with me to a meeting. Some people prefer paper and that is fine.

I have my spreadsheet set up so that it will chart what I need to find a trendline and then use online CBM as much as possible. Our building is going to less paper and more tech as we have 1:1 tech for our students (high school) so I am trying to get ahead of the curve on this one. I use Google Classroom a lot as well as other online sources and they input right into my spreadsheet.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

Thank you
Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for your suggestions. I don't necessarily have to have a pre-made something, I'm just still struggling to figure out what works for me and how to set-up the different components. You guys have given me some great suggestions. I was considering making a 1/2in. binder for each student; however, I know me and hole punching, I don't think I'll keep up with it, but I just bought 13 project cases on clearance at Target, I don't think I'll have more students than that, so I might give each student one of the cases and keep file folders for all of the different sections I would of had in a binder.

Thank you again for sharing with me what you do. I'd still love to read about what anyone else does.
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

hole punching
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One way to avoid hole punching is to put things in page protectors. I learned this the hard way haha. I put everything related to the same goal into the same page protector.
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote