Help

Special Education

parent communication

>

Teachgulf16

parent communication
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good evening everyone, I hope you are enjoying your summer! I am looking for ideas for daily communication with parents. I will be teaching a students with multiple disabilities. I want to be able to inform parents about their kids school day. I would love something that isn't much time consuming. Any ideas you could share, much appreciated it!
Thank you!

Teachgulf16 is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

summer school
Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught summer school for students with multiple disabilities the program made a template for us to communicate to parents each night. It had different sections with checkboxes and fill in the blanks to save us as much time as possible, but gave the parents a lot of useful information. For example, the top box said "Today we learned about __________" with space to write, there was a feeding section where you could check off boxes such as "ate breakfast/lunch, 3 tube feedings, 1 tube feed, 1 oral feed, etc." and a toileting section like "was dry ___ times, was wet ____ times, voided on toilet _____ times." We also had a section where we could customize information for the specific child that was important for the parent to know such as "_____ seizures", "required ____ doses of ____" etc. There was a section at the bottom for parents to initial and they could write comments on it. Some teachers made three prong folders with a bunch of double-sided copies of each child's template and then that folder went back and forth to school each day. I was usually able to knock out the majority of the forms during their 15 minutes of 'quiet time' in the afternoon because I customized each template so much to each kid. You might want to have a section checking off which related services they had that day as well. (I just thought of that and wish I had done it!)
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Notebook or email
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really like pp's idea.

I use a spiral notebook that goes back and forth in the book bag.

Also I generally have a smaller class, so emailing parents is not that onerous or time consuming. Most of my parents at the very least have a burner phone, but a permanent email address. Email is also a good way to keep records.

Some families do not bother to take the notebook or papers out of the bag. Or the notebook never comes back or student or sibling colors on notebook.

It really depends on the families and you finding a style that works for you and the families. Even if I try to force the issue, it is rarely a one size fits all thing for me.

Last edited by readandweep; 07-20-2016 at 10:05 AM..
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachgulf16

Old 07-21-2016, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you
I like the idea about the folder with sheet and quick yes or no check
thank you all for the response

Teachgulf16

Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you
I really like the idea! Do you have a copy of the one you used
I will tailored it to my students needs

d0rkablex2

template
Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi!
I never delete any of my school emails haha....so I found the templates sent to me! the "XXX" sections were just from deleting school name info. They gave us three different options based on level of need and then you can tailor from there. Hope this helps! Also...grr it will only let me upload one template at a time so I have to post three times.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Student Daily Communication - Form A.docx (15.8 KB, 37 views)

d0rkablex2

Template 2

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here's another template!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Student Daily Communication -Form B.docx (15.9 KB, 17 views)

d0rkablex2

template 3

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and another!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Student Daily Communication -Form C.docx (15.9 KB, 14 views)

5thinphilly

Special needs communication
Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't teach SPED but I have a special needs (autistic) student. We receive an almost-daily template page like those discussed in this thread (occasionally it doesn't come home but it usually does).

At the top it has the date, and then it has a behavior thing circled (great/ good/ I forget the wording of the negative categories). It has a grid of common activities and they circle the ones they did that day, there's a line where they say "Today ____ did _______" and they put a short note about that particular day - could be something he did well or struggled with or a comment about an activity they did. They mark how much he ate of his lunch and of his snack (all / most / some / none for each). I think that's about it... Oh, it also usually has a short note for the week or unit about what they are working on - key vocabulary, themes, activities, etc. It will sometimes have a suggestion for something to ask about/ do at home to reinforce the skills.

This is prek, so I know it's a little different (he'll be in a K-2 autism classroom next year), but I find it helpful and it gives me words to use to talk to him about school that increase the likelihood of getting a response.
5thinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachgulf16

Old 07-22-2016, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

THANK YOU so much for uploading the forms. These are perfect, I will edit some basic stuff and I'll be good to go!

tmf929

Parent communication
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Many of my colleagues love classroom dojo. The parents can login and see an overview of their child points and the various activities where they received them, both positive and negative. They can also send messages. I prefer texting. It's the quickest method. Just remember to send positives.
tmf929 is offline   Reply With Quote