Private School Teacher or Public School Substitute in Special Education? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Private School Teacher or Public School Substitute in Special Education?

>

Jen93

Private School Teacher or Public School Substitute in Special Education?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum, so here is my current dilemma. I graduated in 2015 with certification in early childhood and special education. I really want to teach special education full time, but I have not been able to come across a job yet.

I spent this past year subbing in special education, and it looks like that would be my option for this coming year. However, it also looks like I could have the possibility to be a first grade teacher at a private school (which does not offer special education). Considering that my teaching goal is to go into special education in the near future, would it be better for me to substitute teach in public school districts again this year in special education classes to gain experience or to take the first grade teacher job at the private school? Which would help me more in the long run?
Thank you so much!

Jen93 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Income
Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would continue to sub if youcan afford it. You may be able to pick up more sped. jobs that way.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you considered relocating for a sped job? There are areas of the country where schools are in dire need of sped teachers, including my area! We had a sped opening last year and despite searching all summer long, we couldn't fill it until about a month into the school year. This was elementary mild/mod. resource, which is typically the easiest sped job to fill. Many other schools had positions that went unfilled all year, and this is a pretty desirable city to live in, IMO!

If you are not able to relocate, it's hard to say which would be better. Typically I would say any FT job is better than subbing, but if you really want to be in sped and it's difficult to get into that in your area, I'm not sure a private school job is really going to boost your resume. I taught gen ed for a year and I think it's made me a better sped teacher because I understand the "other side" from the gen ed teacher's perspective. However, this was a public school where I had numerous students with IEPs in my class, worked regularly with the sped team, and led our RtI team, which are all things you're not going to be able to do in a private school job. On the other hand, you might find that you really like gen ed too, and in that case the private school job would definitely look better than subbing if you ever look for a gen ed position in a public school.

Did you feel that subbing in sped this past year helped you make connections? I always wondered how people get references when they sub since you're not a permanent employee anywhere. I have a couple of subs that I request when I'm out based on who my para says is good. Even so, I definitely don't feel like I know anything about how they'd actually be as a FT sped teacher and wouldn't feel comfortable providing a reference or anything like that. If they were looking for FT jobs (as far as I know, none of our subs are), having a decent reputation as a sub would get them an interview in our building but I think the advantage would end there (and in our case, we get so few applicants that pretty much everyone gets an interview!)
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Welcome
Old 07-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi! Welcome to posting. That is a tough one. I however did work in a private school for two years prior to getting that Special ed full time opportunity. They did look that I had experience and I am sure your special ed background would still come into play when you go for a spec ed job. Good Luck!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote