Help

Special Education

Student teacher in resource

>

Haley23

Student teacher in resource
Old 07-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am getting a resident educator (like a ST, but full year) this year. She's 50% with me and 50% with one of our gen ed teachers. We've had this resident program in my building for a few years, but this is the first year the program has offered sped as an option. I've started my mentor training classes and it's clear that the program is very focused on gen ed and being in a regular classroom.

They want the residents to spend very little time observing and then to begin "co-teaching" with their mentor teachers, using the six models of co-teaching before they eventually fully take over. We had a detailed training on it and it totally made sense for a regular classroom, but I'm having a hard time picturing what this will look like in my room. My own sped ST was in a full inclusion school, so I don't have my own experience to draw on. We do services by grade level blocks (I have tried numerous times to change this, but it truly is the only schedule that works out because my school is huge). Due to this, I have some bigger groups of 6-8 students, which would be easy to do some type of co-teaching with. On the other hand, I have one grade level with only one student (for now) and another with only 2 students, so I'm not sure what to do during those blocks. Since the resident has to get experience with all subjects in her gen ed placement, I can't have her just always only come to my bigger groups.

I've never had a ST before and I'm also wondering how much support I should be giving with helping her figure out what to teach. The gen ed classrooms have curriculums that they use, but I don't have anything specific. I mostly create my own routines using a lot that I learned from Orton-Gillingham training. Again, my mentor for sped didn't actually teach lessons, so I'm just not sure what is normal or expected. I would appreciate any tips!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

St
Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Talk to her college advisor for student teaching to understand how to work together. I'm not sure what you mean by your mentor teacher not teaching any classes. Did your mentor have anything to do with student teaching? I would like the student teacher could work with all groups like you do. Plus some in gen Ed. If she's not trained in Orton, you could show her some of the basics. That will always come in handy.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by your mentor teacher not teaching any classes
My mentor teaching for my sped ST was in a full inclusion school, so as the sped teacher she wasn't doing any actual teaching. She would go into the gen ed rooms that she had students in and keep kids on task or help kids who raised their hand while the gen ed teacher taught. After the whole group lesson, she either walked around to help kids with independent work or sat with a few students in the back of the room to help them with the assignment. Since she was basically just in a para role, I could start doing everything she did from day 1 since I didn't have to learn anything about planning or teaching lessons in a sped setting.

This is a resident educator program, so it's not based out of a college. It's a program for people that have a BA in something else and want to become teachers. They spend a full year working under us while taking classes at the same time. They decided to add on some sped mentors when some of their incoming students were saying they wanted to get certified in sped last spring. It's clear from the trainings I've already been to that the program is 100% geared toward gen ed, so I'm not really getting any help from her field supervisor. She's not learning anything about sped in her classes, and the field supervisor has told us she's basically "open" to whatever schedule we (gen ed teacher, resident, and I) want. There is only one other sped mentor in the entire program, and she's from another district. I am just getting stuck on how much support to provide with telling my resident what to teach. In gen ed they have curriculums to follow for every subject, so my resident will get a lot of guidance just from that. I don't have any reading programs or curriculum that we use in sped; I have to create everything myself. So I'm wondering if I should help her out with what to teach vs. just saying, "Here is the IEP goal, make a lesson about that."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

A thought...
Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just a quick thought -- this is probably the best experience your student teacher will get if she ends up going into SPED. During the student teaching time, she will become more aware of how IPPs work and how you have to plan unique and individual lessons for small groups of students, or individuals. What a valuable experience you can offer her! She can plan remedial or levelled lessons with you, attend meetings, create material and explore different curriculums. After working with many first year teachers, I think everyone needs some experience with all of the above when student teaching.
Suezie is online now   Reply With Quote