Special Education

Special education Itinerant Teacher

>

Kay70313

Special education Itinerant Teacher
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!

I was hired by an early intervention agency about a month ago.( I am newly certified. )
At first I told them I was interested in part time and eventually full time in the future.
Lately, I've been thinking of starting as full time SEIT instead of waiting- this agency has great benefits and salary for full timers, but would still want to inquire further about it all.

My question is - for any SEITs or those in early intervention... How has your experience been in your position? Pros, cons? Any info you can give?

I am located in the NY tri state area.

Kay70313 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

I did a similar job.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I held a job that was similar to this. I was designated a caseload of eighteen families with children ages birth to three. It was my responsibility to go to the homes and work with the children and families.

There was so much I loved about this job! I love infants and toddlers, and working so closely with the families was very rewarding. This job did not require any type of post-baccalaureate credential or certification, just at BA degree in a human services related field -- thus, I was not actually called a teacher. My title was "interventionist." Teaching and ABA therapy were the bulk of what I did with the kids, and the company provided a lot of paid training.

Only con: sometimes having to drive long distances between clients (up to an hour if there was traffic!).

I would go back to EI in a heartbeat. The only reason I left is because this job didn't offer insurance benefits and the pay wasn't enough for me to live on ($14 per hour and I live in CA). That said, I entered a SPED credential program so I could continue doing the type of work I love -- but now with benefits and a decent salary. I'm sure teaching in a school will be far more stressful, but it's a trade off. I'd love to get back into EI in the future.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kay70313

Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response! Sounds wonderful . Luckily enough this agency offers benefits for full timers, and salary. You must also be special Ed certified.

I've always wanted to do early intervention (or at least give it a go) and I feel like this is finally my opportunity. I hope you are able to get back into it in the future if it is what you desire!
Kay70313 is offline   Reply With Quote