Help

Special Education

BTS ideas social/emotional focus

>

Haley23

BTS ideas social/emotional focus
Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Even though I'm the "academic" teacher, I want to focus more on social/emotional skills this year. I have a lot of students with behavior issues on my caseload. They usually do okay with me because I'm really structured, but I want to focus more on actually improving their skills vs. just getting them to behave in my room, if that makes sense? I also have a lot of kids who are very well behaved but have "emotional" needs (anxiety, low self-esteem, etc.) and I feel like that really gets ignored because we have so many students with severe behaviors in my building.

Does anyone have any fun BTS activities you can recommend? I'm thinking about doing something with having students identify their strengths. I'm K-3 (mild/moderate) and I had most of my students last year. Any other ideas of things to do throughout the year? We do breakfast in classrooms and I'm thinking of setting up some sort of "breakfast club" where some kids could eat in a small group with me in the morning. I feel like we have so many kids that really just need someone to talk/listen to them, and I have really short instructional blocks so there's not a whole lot of time for that during the day.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 08-09-2016, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our BD teacher did a superhero theme last year. She had each student create their own superhero. She has them identify their superpowers ( their strengths) and there kryptonite (behavioral or anxiety triggers). It worked really well with her students! When there was an issue it gave them a common and familiar language to discuss it. They also did a lot of work on strengthening their superpowers and developing new superpowers to fight their kryptonite. She really played up the theme of them being in every day superhero and talked about how they were strong enough to fight and win their battles every day.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love that idea! Thank you!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I forgot part of it! She also talked with them about identifying other people's superpowers and kryptonite. They worked on avoiding others' kryptonite to maintain good relationships. So, when they went to Ms. Jones' math class they identified that two of her kryptonites were pencil wars and talking while she was talking. They also identified her superpowers as being willing to help if you raised your hand and asked AFTER she finished giving instructions. Our ED teacher is really incredible! Our principal doesn't appreciate her nearly enough.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

kbach

Social thinking
Old 08-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The superhero idea goes along with social thinking (www.socialthinking.com) and it might give you some added ideas.

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote