Help

Special Education

Reading Pull Out Instruction

>

teacher0729

Reading Pull Out Instruction
Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 30 minute intervention time to meet with my fifth grade students who struggle with reading in addition to co-teaching their general ed reading class. For those with a similar situation, what do you during your pull out reading instruction?

Last year, I had my small group of 3 students use Reading Mastery materials but more in a Reading Workshop method. They read the story out loud to themselves individually and I would listen/ conference with them. Sometimes I would have them read a good fit book of choice out loud instead of the Reading Mastery textbook. They made huge gains in their fluency from reading out loud for 30 minutes daily but I'm just curious what others in special ed do?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Pull-out reading
Old 07-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are familiar with Reading Mastery, I would recommend SRA's Corrective Reading series.

They have leveled decoding and comprehension series and it takes a true 30 minutes, unlike Reading Mastery which I could usually get through in about 20 minutes.

If I had extra time or a large part of the group was out, I worked on word study (sorts, word ladders or making words), but I had fourth and fifth-graders who still struggled with decoding.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It totally depends on what the students need. I teach K-3 and the vast majority of my students are referred to me because they weren't learning to read (decode) in the first place, so I spend most of my time on phonics skills with some fluency or comprehension added in, depending on the needs of the students.

If your students have no problems with decoding (noting that poor fluency often indicates an underlying problem with decoding), I would focus on comprehension. If your students are able, you can teach another reinforcing lesson based on whatever the gen ed reading skill for that day/week is. If that's too difficult for them, I'd start with basic comprehension skills like retelling, picking out important details, and using the text to answer literal questions.

I think it's fine to have them reading out loud as an independent activity if you're working with other students at the time, but I'd use the time you have available for direct instruction as much as possible. I would also incorporate writing whenever possible. I notice that some of my students often do fine with comprehension if I ask them questions orally, but the minute they have to write the very same answers down, they completely fall apart.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote