Help

Special Education

Justify cooking appliances

>

readandweep

Justify cooking appliances
Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone help me justify having cooking appliances in my middle school life skills room?

I believe Unique learning systems has cooking lessons and cooking is definitely a life skill.

I do not have a class list or IEPs yet, otherwise I could use those.

TIA!

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is your district's official description of life skills? Does it include anything about nutrition, basic meal preparation? What about health? Health (maybe even biology) certainly has a nutrition component.

Following directions
Reading directions and/or recipes
Measuring quantities

Going out into the community (grocery store)
Shopping

Communication skills--working with a partner or group
Planning a menu and making a shopping list

There is also a strong OT component

In order to make the experience authentic and practical, cooking appliances will definitely be needed.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The PP has some good suggestions. I teach a middle school life skills class, too, and am lucky enough to have the old home ec room, so we have appliances. Yes, ULS has cooking lessons included in every monthly curriculum unit, my students love them. We also do a lot of additional cooking lessons because we can incorporate so many of the skills already listed.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

OMGoodness...
Old 08-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If they bother to offer a Life Skills Class, you shouldn't need to justify anything... Kids need hands-on experience in addition to any lesson for it for work best... They need to see it modeled and then experience it for themselves.

I teach in a small house that is on our school property. It has a full kitchen and laundry room. We have our own bathroom. I use the kitchen, bathroom and laundry as part of the Life Skills, Social Skills, Behavior skills, Functional skills and sometimes reading, math or science...

Sometimes MS kids with disabilities (or not) do not really care about fractions--but they might if it ended in brownies... or a smoothie or ... food of any kind.

I have a cook stove w/ oven, fridge w/ freezer, toaster, crockpot, blender, coffee pot, and more in the kitchen. The laundry room has a washer, dryer, scrub sink, ironing board and iron.

Thankfully, I do not need to justify any of them independently. I have a variety of activities or lessons that use one or more of the appliances or rooms.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are your students working on alternate state standards (they're called extended evidence outcomes in my state)? I would check those and see if there are any standards related to cooking or meal prep. I don't know how specific they are- I've honestly never really looked at them since I don't teach that population- but just an idea.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote