Help

Special Education

Verbatim reading

>

Christi508

Verbatim reading
Old 08-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you accommodate this in a group of 5 for a reading assessment where the student gets to have the questions and answers read? Do you have them raise their hand when they are done with reading the text and are ready for the questions and then run around like crazy trying to get to them all? Help.

Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my area classroom teachers do this. Sped teachers have too many grade levels- if I did read alouds for testing that's literally all I would ever do!

When I was a classroom teacher, I just called the students to the back table and made them all stay together for reading the questions. As soon as every child in the group had answered, I'd read the next question. If I saw a child trying to move ahead and answer a question I hadn't read yet, I made them stop.

At my current school, our teachers record the test questions and students who have the read aloud accommodation listen to it on their i pads. This is beneficial because you can give headphones and be sure no one else is hearing it, it more closely mimics what state testing will look like (the text to speech accommodation is electronic on PARCC) and they can save the recordings from year to year so that they don't have to keep doing it.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the ideas and some things to think about.
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Grouping
Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When you have issues like this, group as much as you can. If there are several students that have similar accommodations, then it's easier to do it with a small group in the room rather than run around the room. Generally our general education teacher is responsible for this, but if a student can be read to by a special education teacher or para in the room, it seems to go much better for all involved.

You could also read the passage to those that need it and have the other student come join you when they are ready for the questions. Just an idea.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote