Help

Special Education

Structuring 30 minute block

>

checkerjane

Structuring 30 minute block
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a group of 9 third graders who are close to the same level with the exception of one. I have them for reading in a 30 minute block. I’m stressing out about structuring this! I need to work on phonics, sight words, comprehension, fluency, as well as the weekly skill. How do I do this??????

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-26-2018, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is their primary reading need? Yes, all of those components are important, but with only 30 minutes you need to consider what their main "issue" is an spend the bulk of the time on that.

For me personally, I have only worked in low SES schools where when a kid is referred to sped, 99% of the time it's because they simply can't read in the first place. It's extremely rare in my grade levels (K-3) for me to get a kid who can read but can't comprehend.

As such, I spend the bulk of my lesson on phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, and fluency. I do the tiniest bit of comprehension work at the end- really more in an effort to remind the kids that comprehension is the end goal- but I don't spend a ton of time on it because the reason they're not "good" at comprehension is that they can't read the text in the first place, and that needs to be the primary thing addressed.

I do phonics screeners with my kids to determine what their next instructional step is. I would keep in mind that often "fluency issues" are caused by underlying decoding/phonics issues.

Just as an example, say that my 3rd graders are working on r-controlled vowels. My 30 minute lesson would look like this:
-Introduce/review learning target
-Phonemic awareness warm up: Post or, ar, and er/ir/ur in different spots in the room, say a word and have students walk to the correct sign for the word pattern they hear.
-Have students practice reading nonsense words that follow r controlled and short vowel patterns (always best to include contrast words so they don't over generalize) using letter cards as a group.
-Give students a list of real r-controlled and contrast words, have them practice reading it individually, then read it as a group.
-Sight word practice: Remind students that we practice these words differently because they can't be sounded out. Practice flash cards as a group- pick out 2-3 they struggle with and practice reading/spelling them over and over again.
-Decodable story: Have students look for r-controlled words and underline them, read those together. Read the rest of the story in combination of choral reading, volunteers reading, and partner reading. If extra time, have students read the story again with a partner for fluency. If this is the 2nd or 3rd day reading the same story, I skip the first part (underlining the pattern words) and may have students do a timed reading with partners to work on fluency.
-Comprehension is worked on in the form of discussing the story as we read it. After the first day, I may pull out a graphic organizer that makes sense with the story and we'll do it together (i.e. cause/effect, main idea/details, etc.) Again, this is the element that I spend the least amount of time on based on my kid's needs.

I find that with my groups it's very helpful to have a regular routine in place and to keep the pacing of instruction quick. This not only helps you accomplish a lot in a short amount of time, but also cuts down on behavior issues as the students have no "down time" to mess around. You can get through a whole lot more material in 30 minutes than what you're used to in gen ed.

My last recommendation would be that since it's only one child that doesn't really fit in with your others, I'd try to see him with another grade level where he does fit in better.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote