Help

Special Education

Planning with gen ed teachers

>

Haley23

Planning with gen ed teachers
Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My P is super gung ho about me working with the gen ed teachers to "scaffold" the regular curriculum for my students. The problem is, in my 8 years of teaching sped I've never really had this be a major part of my job, and therefore have no idea what I'm doing.

I have 4 grade levels and kids in 11 different gen ed rooms. We do everything in intervention blocks at my school, and most of my day is taken up with those. We're expected to use specific intervention curriculum during those blocks (95% Group, SPIRE, etc.) so it's not like I have time to do things like front load vocabulary, preview the gen ed story, etc. Pretty much all of my kids ended up on IEPs because they couldn't read in the first place.

Last year there were times where I was told to sit with a grade level during planning meetings and felt like I wasn't super helpful and it wasn't a good use of my time. We use Wonders. The whole group time is long. The teachers are already doing things like adding visuals, reading the story together (echo reading, choral reading, watching the story on video, etc.), and using graphic organizers with sentence stems. They also have lots of movement activities and pair-share, things like that.

I literally have no idea what to suggest or what I'm really supposed to be doing during these planning meetings. There is another sped teacher in my building teaching intermediate, but it's different for her b/c she doesn't have the intervention blocks in her grade levels and can focus more on the gen ed curriculum. Can anyone give specific suggestions?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Gen Ed
Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are there any group projects or activities at this age?

Could you help facilitate group presentations or set up heterogeneous groupings where the special ed students are practicing speaking, listening or social skills?

How about co-teaching? Would your P be satisfied if she came into the classroom and saw you presenting a lesson? And then everyone closes their doors and goes back to what was working.

Is there anyway you wish your students were included more in the classroom, even if your student's skills are far behind?

This must be frustrating. Was your P in higher SES school previously?

I get asking this when the school's special ed students can potentially get to grade level. But it sounds like you work at school where it is an accomplishment to get non-special ed kids up to grade level.

Any identified kids have serious gaps that need small group or 1:1 remediation.
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry, I think my post was unclear. I am still doing pull outs for instruction. I won't actually be present in the room during gen ed instruction, nor will there be an extra aide or anything (my aide pushes in, but her entire day is spent on a select few behavior kids). My P is looking for me to plan with gen ed teachers and give suggestions for things they can do to help my kids better access the gen ed instruction.

Last year, every once in a while we'd have "planning meetings" as part of PD days where I was instructed to sit with a grade level to plan. During this time, they are planning their weekly lessons for the core reading curriculum, Wonders. I've never really known what I'm supposed to be doing during this time.

This year, we will have a "planning meeting" every single week before school. We are getting paid for this time through a grant. My P is thrilled that I will get to "share my expertise" with the gen ed teachers during this time. She keeps talking about me helping them scaffold the Wonders lessons.

Except I have no idea what to suggest. They are already doing the basic things I could come up with (sentence stems, graphic organizers, pair share, reading the story aloud so that everyone can access it, etc.)

My school is low SES, but has done very well under this P. Our state test scores are twice as high or more than other schools in the district and above the state average, and our growth in things like DIBELS has also been incredibly good. Unfortunately for me, we are at the point where the only "group" of students who aren't performing are the sped students. Of course it's politically incorrect to say they're not performing because they have disabilities. My p wants to focus on sped this year. She thinks the pull out instruction/intervention block is good, but we need to focus on how to get kids to access the gen ed content/instruction. She keeps going on and on about "scaffolds."

Hope this is clearer.

readandweep

Oh :)
Old 09-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry.

I think I get it know. How is your relationship with the gen ed teachers?

Do you feel comfortable asking them what THEY think they need help with to scaffold?

Are you allowed to restructure the whole group to smaller amounts of time to help scaffold?

Other than that, I am at a loss too.

Glad your P is talking up your expertise!
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
How is your relationship with the gen ed teachers?

Do you feel comfortable asking them what THEY think they need help with to scaffold?
Since there are so many of them, it varies. I would say I'm on pretty good terms with K and 1, one of the 2nd grade teachers is the type that's difficult with everyone (the other 2 teachers are new and seem fine), and my relationship with 3rd is somewhat strained.

I was thinking that a good place to start might be asking them to tell me which parts of the lesson/which activities seem too difficult for my kids. I think part of me is afraid I'll ask and then not have an answer ready if they do want help with something specific . I would also not be surprised to hear, "All of it is hard/they can't do anything."

I also find it difficult given that the main issue for the vast majority of my kids is just not being able to decode the texts in the first place. And for things like gen ed word work time, I don't know how you can possibly scaffold a whole group lesson on something like vowel teams in 1st grade when my kids really haven't mastered the short vowels.

Due to all of our intervention blocks and other support set ups, the "master schedule" is pretty set in stone. I don't think there is any way for them to break up the whole group time as they have a very specific time they are supposed to be doing it in.

I even tried googling "scaffolds for Wonders curriculum" and am not coming up with anything other than very generic things that I know are already being done in the classrooms.

Last edited by Haley23; 09-01-2018 at 08:13 PM..