Help

Special Education

Inclusion! Help!

>

canigetit2008

Inclusion! Help!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Now the district made me into the resource and inclusion teacher for 5th and 6th grade. So I have a lot of the same students, but I now service them in the regular education class. They cannot do this work. Some cant even add yet, but they expect them to do grade level curriculum. I go into 5 classes every day, but itís difficult to make a schedules because all of the teachers have different schedules for their specials (gym, art, etc). I barely have time for a plan period or lunch. So I give the students their minutes, but I donít feel like Iím being effective.
The special education director canít really give any advice or assistance. She said this is a pilot to see how things go. Itís the first time doing full inclusion.
I donít get it. Please give me some advice on how to run this inclusion program. I donít have a para. I have a small office that fits about 3 kids.

When Im in these regular education class rooms can I take my modified work in there and work on modified curriculum? The regular education teachers donít really understand that the students cant do the work, and that we have to work together and modify.

Iím so confused and frustrated . Please help me figure out how to run this program better.

canigetit2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Yes!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't see why you couldn't bring modified work, as a sped teacher you have to teach them at their level. I'm sorry about your situation! I am in a similar situation... What we are doing I don't really even think is inclusion more like sharing a space with another teacher.. I think we have to just try to do our best with what we've been given. I'll be interested to hear other people's ideas!
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If at all possible, I would go in during small group and/or independent work time and just meet with your own groups. If you want to be more "inclusive" you can offer to have gen ed students who may need the skill you're teaching join your group, or set up a rotation with the gen ed teacher where kids rotate through both of you for small groups. This is what I'd aim for if I had to push in (which may happen this year). My teammate who is pushing in is doing this. She has a small caseload, so not many kids in each classroom. She asked the gen ed teachers to put together their 5 lowest readers and she will teach their small group when she comes in for push in minutes.

I know you mentioned your sped director...is your P supportive at all? You could try going to him/her or see what other sped teachers in your district are going. If you get truly desperate, you can always say, "I'd like to go observe and talk to a teacher who is doing this effectively."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote