Help

Special Education

Iím pretty sure this is what hell feels like

>

checkerjane

Iím pretty sure this is what hell feels like
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and the flames lick me in the face every time I walk in my classroom. IDK if other states are like this, but in OK we have a thing where kids qualifying for sped ed need to be placed by October 1st. They donít have to, but they prefer for them to be. Lots of that is tied to finding.

So, Iíve four annual IEPs due this month, and I now have 8 referrals. All together, thatís about 20 parent meetings, 16 of which are expected to take place before October 1st. It would help if I knew exactly who would be tested before Oct 1st so I could prioritize and not feel like I have to get EVERYTHING done by then. This is my first year in sped, and Iím about to yank my hair out! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Similar
Old 09-09-2018, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district we have a sped "census" on the first of December. All of our paperwork for every single student needs to be in compliance by that date in order for students to be "counted" for funding. It makes the rush before Thanksgiving pretty stressful. Hang in there.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Yikes
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
In my district we have a sped "census" on the first of December. All of our paperwork for every single student needs to be in compliance by that date in order for students to be "counted" for funding.
Here in MO, we call that census "Core Data." Our Core Data is collected December 1 as well. Kids can still qualify after that date but it does affect funding, I believe.

As a first year SpEd teacher though are you doing all this alone? Here, you would have a mentor and a Sped Director to help you not only prioritize and navigate but also to do some of the testing. We are a small unit at my school but we would have others responsible for some of the testing.

Do you have an online SpEd program that manages your paperwork/caseload? SpedTrack? SEASWeb? anything like that? If I enter my dates in a timely manner, it will help by putting out a calendar of due dates...

Good luck.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our sped director is...well...not real helpful. I’ve asked her questions, and she tells me she’ll get back with me, but that never happens. We have EdPlan. When I look at my caseload, it shows me when IEPs are due.

No, no mentor. I’m seriously about to lose it and keep telling myself if I make to October 1st, the worst will be over. I have a stomach ache most days because I’m so stressed out and crossing my fingers that I’m doing everything legally and the way it should be done.

My assistance comes in the form of online manuals. The Jr. High and High School sped teachers have their hands full right now, so I feel horrible asking them for help.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote