Special Education

Best use of paras

>

busybeing

Best use of paras
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello -

My students get 90 minutes of ELA each day. Last year, I had three groups - one with me doing Orton Gillingham instruction, one with my para using a scripted comprehension program, and the other group was on Lexia.

I feel like this isn't the best use of everyone's time and to be honest, I have a couple of students with high comprehension needs and I'd rather design more personalized curriculum instead of having my para read from a script.

How do you run your ELA centers if you have a para?

Looking for fresh ideas!

busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to have an amazing para who I could literally just give a skill to (i.e. sight words, a certain phonics skill) and she'd know exactly what to do. I often used her for outliers in my group or had her work with each kid 1:1 for a few minutes on a specific skill that just they needed.

Unfortunately, she retired and the paras I've had since just haven't really been capable of doing direct instruction-even with step by step directions from me. It ends up being wasted learning time for the kids. This year, I decided to have my para only push in.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

busybeing

Old 09-11-2018, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry to hear that Haley Yes, that sounds similar to my para. She's fine if I give her a script, but if I ask her to teach a skill a certain way, she'll do her own thing.

I'm thinking I might just buy language centers and/or have the students work on independent work when they would normally be working with her and have her monitor/help them as needed.

She pushes in for science and social studies, but my P feels she needs to be in here at least during ELA supporting.
busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote