Help

Special Education

Need lessons ideas

>

MnToCa

Need lessons ideas
Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I teach high school setting 4. EBD. I have 5 students. I am really struggling coming up with academic lessons. I got the behaviors under control but I don't know what to do for the subjects and lessons

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

What do their schedules say?
Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start with a combination of their individual schedules, my class list and their IEP goals.

If they are behind or low functioning, I don't have to follow the literal names of the class, just the subject matter. I may have a sophomore in an English II class but it is just because this is their second year of English. I actually teach them on their level. Does that make sense?

Some of the EBD kids are on grade level but many of them have academic difficulties as well.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

They dont have schedules
Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is a setting 4, so all of their IEP goals are behavior related.
MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Hmm, well then...
Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not sure what a setting 4 actually is but ...

Does that mean special behavior school, self-contained class or similar?

Anyway, regardless, what does their IEPs say about the present levels of functioning academically... Surely, it is addressed somewhere in their paperwork...

At the very least, I would focus on the three R--good ole basics...

What academics have they been exposed to in the past? Can you do some simple informal assessments to ballpark a level as a starting point?

Do you have a recommended curriculum in your classroom?

If not, there are a lot of resources online. For reading, ELA and math, you can google many of the Evan Moor workbooks and find them in a variety of subject in most grade levels. You can do the same for some other series as well.

For writing, you might want to start with simple exercises where they are answering open ended questions in their high interest areas. A lot of kids with behavior problems have strong opinions about things.

After you see where they are, you can then move on from there. It's possible to now incorporate the life skills, social and behavioral lessons into the academic lessons too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
sixandhalfhr

sixandhalfhr

Old 09-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I work with level 4 students which pretty much means all kids are there because of significant behaviors. I have 3 assistants for 5 students. Our IEPs have to have standards based academic goals, I am surprised your district does not. Unless your students are all at grade level. In that case you have to provide them with grade level curriculum. Many of the setting 4 EBD kids are working towards their high school diploma (not IEP based diplomas), which means that they have to meet standards and be graded. Our school does not provide content teachers (sounds like yours does not either) and finding the right curriculums are a ton of work. If you have regular high schools in your district, connect with them to get access to their curriculums and textbooks. Look into project-based -learning for areas that you can't find anything appropriate. There are some decent high school level curriculums on tpt as well. Does your district have some online curriculums you could sign your students up for? Start testing your students to see where they are at. I'd start with reading, writing and math and once you have that covered expand to sciences, social studies...Once you have a baseline, start teaching. Your district should have district wide tests and assessments. Look at the grade level standards and do informal testing to see where they are at.
Just an example per day: I teach Level 4 high school and do about 90 min of language arts, 40 min math, 40 minute social emotional learning, and 90 minutes of rotating groups: social studies, art, music, science. The remaining minutes are movement, lunch and breakfast. It took me years to build up a curriculum. Before that I spent every evening preparing curriculum for the next day.
What are your students doing right now ?