Help

Special Education

Teaching SETSS

>

MMingE

Teaching SETSS
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year, I started working at a Charter School, where I am teaching SETSS ELA for Grades 6,7 and 8. After spending the last two years at my previous school where I was a co-teacher in 6th and 7th Grade, I am currently struggling with coming up with lesson plans for the students that I am supposed to teach and I am looking for some advice on what I should be doing.

The students have 90 minute blocks of ELA and Math. I pull the students who have SETSS out during the 2nd half of the block. Students never like getting pulled out of class, since they are often made fun of by the other students for being "Special Ed" or called "stupid."

The SETSS teachers are not required to have actual lesson plans, instead we are required to have "Weekly Planner Interventions" in which we describe a learning target for the week, in which we are required to describe what topics the students are working on in class and how it relates to the students' IEP goals, the strategies that we are using during our sessions and student needs and accommodations. It makes no mention of what materials we are using or the type of instruction.

I am given very little resources, except for a series of workbooks, which the students find boring and repetitive. Even the setup of the class is a mess. I share a classroom with 2 other teachers, who are teaching at the same time, creating a constant distraction.

My questions are:

1. How do I plan for a SETSS class? Do I make a generalized lesson plan for the small group or do I come up with 18 individualized lesson plans for each of the students I service?

2. What kind of resources should I use?

3. How can I make this class more engaging and not seen as something negative?

MMingE is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is SETSS? Is that like a pull out?

I direct instruct a group for ELA and Math. They gave us curriculum for the most part... but I still have to come up with small group and reading stations on my own as the block of time is very large.

Then I also have pull out sessions with other kids. For them, I look at their goals and make plans for them. Often times, you can group them. I find resources online , scholastic, and tpt. I have used class dojo, tickets (for participation), and classroom economy for them to "trade in" with prices. I do mostly non monetary rewards but do have a prize box or snack choice. Both of those are high in points.

I'm also considering starting something as a whole class incentive of erasing letters of a word and if they have any left.. we can spend free time on Friday or you have to have a certain amount of points to participate in free time Friday. Not sure yet.
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

MMingE

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, Special Education Teacher Support Services (SETSS) is what other states refer to as a Resource room teacher.
MMingE is offline   Reply With Quote